Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID used to sign in to iCloud via a web browser

Hello. I am reaching out for a friend of mine. She only has an Apple ID for her iPod. She never signs onto her iCloud. She is not familiar with Apple at all.

Over the last couple of weeks she has received over 20+ emails saying that her email (Apple ID) was used to sign in to her iCloud account via web browser. She has changed her password and then this happened again. The emails look legitimate from Apple. And have the Apple address on the bottom for the email.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 11:18 AM

Apple will always address you by your name or the name they have on file for you, not Dear Customer, Dear Client or by using your e-mail address.  The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple emails won't have poor grammar/misspellings. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information by email such as Social Security numbers, your Mother’s maiden name or full credit card numbers . 

The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.

Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams.   *

Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store.   *

She can also add 2 Factor Authentication to her account for more security. If the attempts continue, she might want to consider a name change.

Link to contact Apple Support in the article.

Apple ID has been compromised.      *

Security and your Apple ID.   *

Device and Data Access when Personal Safety is At Risk    -

Checklist: If you want to see if anyone else has access to your device or accounts  *

Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.  * 

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support  *  I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Apple ID -Two-factor authentication   *

Two Factor Authentification availability.   *

2 Factor Authentication - How to generate a recovery key.  *

Apple ID - Using app-specific passwords.   *

Apple ID - Two Step Verifications FAQ    *

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2021 11:18 AM in response to MondayisToday

Apple will always address you by your name or the name they have on file for you, not Dear Customer, Dear Client or by using your e-mail address.  The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple emails won't have poor grammar/misspellings. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information by email such as Social Security numbers, your Mother’s maiden name or full credit card numbers . 

The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.

Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams.   *

Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store.   *

She can also add 2 Factor Authentication to her account for more security. If the attempts continue, she might want to consider a name change.

Link to contact Apple Support in the article.

Apple ID has been compromised.      *

Security and your Apple ID.   *

Device and Data Access when Personal Safety is At Risk    -

Checklist: If you want to see if anyone else has access to your device or accounts  *

Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.  * 

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support  *  I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Apple ID -Two-factor authentication   *

Two Factor Authentification availability.   *

2 Factor Authentication - How to generate a recovery key.  *

Apple ID - Using app-specific passwords.   *

Apple ID - Two Step Verifications FAQ    *

Apple ID used to sign in to iCloud via a web browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.