Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur upgrade 11.1 to 11.6

I'm on Big Sur 11.1 and the latest update is for 11.6. no idea why other updates have not prompted me. is it safe to go from 11.1 directly to 11.6

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 3:28 PM

Yes, it's completely safe.

5 replies

Sep 29, 2021 9:14 AM in response to samrog777

Mac Pro big sur 11.6 why the **** I did update ... lagging freezing wheeling ...

I had some issues about that back few months ago ..; and seemed to have resolved (some actions from my part) and BIG SUR update ... was fine until last 11.5 ... but now back again!

And I ma experiencing all lagging freezing wheeling ... and suddenly comes back to life ... something is looping seriously somewhere before it decides it is fine! what is it?

Heeellllppp!

MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,3

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

System Firmware Version: 429.140.8.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.45f5

Oct 4, 2021 10:48 AM in response to Didonc

I don't know if there was na issue with some recent Google sync changes ... I had quite a lot of crash from Finder etc ...

but now after installing the new Google Drive and doing a reboot of the whole thing .. thre is no lagging anymore ...

Maybe the secret is doing like for Windows OS .. reboot and hope for the best! (I hope some Apple engineer will contredict me and they have better managing system than unload everything and start from scratch ... though sometimes lingering running things zombies can be the pain!)

cheers

Oct 4, 2021 11:13 AM in response to Didonc

Spotlight typically runs a massive re-index after an update. Sounds like Google Drive also needed to be updated. I usually check all my Apps are up to date before I engage on a dot release upgrade. Possible a second reboot helped. Booting into Safe Mode then back into Normal can help as it flushes all the system caches. Best to update all the things all the time more frequently.

I have seen reports of users on 11.1 and even 11.3 with not being prompted to update to newer macOS releases. Think it's a bug that's hopefully been fixed. Some users never saw the updates at all and had to re-install 11.6 over the top of their existing installation in order to upgrade.

Big Sur upgrade 11.1 to 11.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.