Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

xfinity streaming problem - safari

So all of the sudden - perhaps since the last update to 11.6 all of the sudden Safari on my Mac mini will not stream from Xfinity. I can log on, views accounts, bill, etc., but to stream or access on demand the system page just won't load - it just hangs.

It will load on PC no problem and I installed the Google Chrome browser on the Mac mini and I can stream using Chrome on the Mac mini.

So it seems there is an issue with the Safari browser communicating with Xfinity/Comcast. I have cleared history, cookies, etc., cannot seem to identity the hang-up with Safari.

Somewhat undesirable to have to use multiple browsers in this way. Has anyone else seen this or figured out what the fix is?

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 1:43 PM

After spending 1.5 hrs chatting with Xfinity last night - and getting nowhere - I found the forum post on Xfinity indicating the Apple problem... and this morning spent 1/2 hr on phone with Apple to try to confirm the issue is with Safari 15. 

Both sides blame the other, and both pretend like it's the first time they've heard about the problem. (And, BTW, Apple support didn't even suggest Safari 15.1 beta; they blame Comcast.) It's totally unacceptable that they both waste so much time - both customers and their own support staff. They must get 100s of calls/day about this... MORONS!!

But, yes, the issue does seem to be with Safari 15. Rather than install 15.1 beta, I'll use Google Chrome until the final release.... whenever that is...

And apparently Apple doesn't bother to monitor their own forum. At least Xfinity weighs in on posts in their form.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2021 1:43 PM in response to regena257

After spending 1.5 hrs chatting with Xfinity last night - and getting nowhere - I found the forum post on Xfinity indicating the Apple problem... and this morning spent 1/2 hr on phone with Apple to try to confirm the issue is with Safari 15. 

Both sides blame the other, and both pretend like it's the first time they've heard about the problem. (And, BTW, Apple support didn't even suggest Safari 15.1 beta; they blame Comcast.) It's totally unacceptable that they both waste so much time - both customers and their own support staff. They must get 100s of calls/day about this... MORONS!!

But, yes, the issue does seem to be with Safari 15. Rather than install 15.1 beta, I'll use Google Chrome until the final release.... whenever that is...

And apparently Apple doesn't bother to monitor their own forum. At least Xfinity weighs in on posts in their form.

Sep 27, 2021 9:57 AM in response to sk1975

Oh I know. I suspect it has something to do with the last Big Sur / Safari iOS update this month for security. Likely the permissions were not well thought through in a rush to get the security thing done. The few things I have seen is Xfinity pointing fingers at Apple and Apple pointing fingers at Xfinity - so until they get their act together it will be a pause I suspect.

I'm sure there is a work-around. I cannot find it so I'll just use Chrome for Xfinity streaming for now.

Oct 16, 2021 10:43 PM in response to f_chatter

I have precisely the same problem on my MacBook air. It happened right after i did the system update to 11.6. This is the only streaming site i have an issue with on safari, even when my tv credentials are needed there to view otherwise locked videos (for instance, abc).

It's not the internet connection because I've tried on other devices and it's not the system overall because the problem doesn't exist with other browsers.

Oct 18, 2021 12:33 PM in response to Julesjmj

Same here, and it's annoying that it hasn't been fixed yet. I have no issues with streaming Xfinity on my iPad, so it's definitely not an internet issue. I haven't seen a software update for Safari after the latest Big Sur update, and I know Apple is aware of the problem. I know just enough about my laptop to do what I need to do with it, so I have no idea how to change from Safari or how to look for an update if it's not posted. I prefer streaming on my MacBook mainly for the screen size and better volume levels.

I'm really disappointed that Apple hasn't fixed this yet, especially knowing that I'm not the only one with this problem.

xfinity streaming problem - safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.