Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ejecting HD with Photos Library on it

I'm having trouble ejecting the external hard drive to which I moved my main Photos Library when I want to transport my MBP. is there any way to stop Photos.app from accessing the HD so I can eject it properly without having to restart the computer every time? Is there any risk of corrupting file by doing so?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 1:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 10:08 AM

With my setup I don't have trouble ejecting the external HDD where I save the Photos.app library (originals are archived and backupped in plain Finder folders elsewhere).

I just take care to quit Photos.app before ejecting and, if necessary, let Finder Force-eject if some background process still wants to access it (Photos or Spotlight although AFAIR I have disabled Spotlight on external disks).

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2021 10:08 AM in response to Caesar0801

With my setup I don't have trouble ejecting the external HDD where I save the Photos.app library (originals are archived and backupped in plain Finder folders elsewhere).

I just take care to quit Photos.app before ejecting and, if necessary, let Finder Force-eject if some background process still wants to access it (Photos or Spotlight although AFAIR I have disabled Spotlight on external disks).

Ejecting HD with Photos Library on it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.