Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes cannot run because some of its required files are missing

iTunes on Windows 10 x64, version 21H1 with latest OS updates.

Yesterday I checked for iTunes updates (I was actually looking for IOS 15 for my iPhone) and iTunes asked to be upgraded to version 12.12.0.6; after the upgrade, iTunes didn't start anymore. The error message is "iTunes cannot run because some of its required files are missing. Please reinstall iTunes.":

I tried repairing iTunes; then I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it; then I tried uninstalling all Apple software (as documented here) and reinstalling iTunes. No luck, it always failed to start with the same error.

I also tried using the version of iTunes distributed by the Microsoft Store; no luck with that, too.

As a last resort I tried installing iTunes in fresh Windows 10 VM (same Windows release, 21H1 x64 with latest updates) with no other software installed and no prior exposure to iTunes. It failed to start there too, with the same error message.

Before the upgrade iTunes was working fine.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 6:25 AM

I have confirmed this problem only happens when the Windows UI language is not English; see here: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/427639/itunes-cannot-run-because-some-of-its-required-files-are-missing/427675.

I'm opening a new topic to clarify this is a language-related bug.

13 replies

Sep 21, 2021 3:08 PM in response to XR219

Hello,

I marked this topic as resolved because I opened a new one (here) to address the fact that this issue is not a generic "iTunes doesn't work" thing, but it's explicitly related to the Windows UI language; I simply wanted to point all the various discussions there, instead of having them all scattered around.

Feel free to keep this topic (and all the other ones) open if you think it helps.

I have also reported the bug to Apple Support.

I advise everyone to to do the same.

Sep 21, 2021 9:32 AM in response to Massimo80

Please don't mark this as solved or they will think that it is fixed, its not.

The latest version available from the windows store will only work if the display language on Windows 10 is set to US English.

It does not work with any other languages, including other English languages.

This is a major bug for anyone outside the US or anyone who does not have their Windows 10 device set to US English as the display language.

Sep 21, 2021 10:53 AM in response to HillPeaceman

Buenas Tardes

Tengo el mismo problema.

Lo tengo desintalado directamente ni lo intente de arreglar

Solo intentado la instalacion desde cero poniendo otra ubicacion de disco.

Tambien me falla diciendo

Como se puede arreglar

Gracias

Pedro Colas Gonzalez

Sep 21, 2021 11:44 AM in response to Graham936

This is a bug that Apple need to resolve. The work around is to go to languages in the settings of your Windows 10 PC, add US English, set the check box to set it as the display language. After it installs, windows will prompt you to log off. Log off and restart your PC, when you log back in the display language will be US English, and iTunes will launch.

I expect Apple will fix this urgently. I believe that the issue is caused because new terms and conditions need to be accepted and they only display in US English.

Sep 21, 2021 12:08 PM in response to Massimo80

I can confirm this issue on my Windows 11 x64 Pro German (latest Beta build 22000.194). I followed the Apple instructions that you have already mentioned to remove iTunes (not from the Windows Store). I installed 12.10, ran Apple Software Update. Interestingly it offered me to update to iTunes 12.12, or 12.11.

I chose iTunes 12.11 and am now on 12.11.0.26. The program works fine (again) to locally backup my iPhone (iOS 15).

I won't go to 12.12 or higher before a newer version will have been released.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.