Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

‘Notify When Left Behind’ not available on Apple Watch Series 6 watchOS 8.0

I just updated my iPhone 12 Pro Max to iOS 15 and my Apple Watch Series 6 to watchOS 8.0. Under Find My app ‘Notify When Left Behind’ is not available when I try to enable it for my watch. Is that a bug or the feature isn’t available for watch yet?

Apple Watch Sport

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 3:59 AM

I’ve been in contact with Apple support and after escalating the problem to the technical team they told me it’s a feature that will be available later on on the watch.

I tried the iphone 12 left behind and the notification is coming up the apple watch 6 no problems, if you don’t set the ‘except at’ it works in any locations home included, from 300 feet roughly after 1 min from where you left it 👍

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2021 3:59 AM in response to Gallant_Fox

I’ve been in contact with Apple support and after escalating the problem to the technical team they told me it’s a feature that will be available later on on the watch.

I tried the iphone 12 left behind and the notification is coming up the apple watch 6 no problems, if you don’t set the ‘except at’ it works in any locations home included, from 300 feet roughly after 1 min from where you left it 👍

Oct 1, 2021 10:54 AM in response to lilla45

I contacted Apple Support via sms.

Apple calls the feature a "separation alert" and directed me to https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/get-notified-if-you-leave-a-device-behind-iph5f53aeae0/ios

From this I learned the options were greyed out because I was not sharing the location of my iPhone. See: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/share-your-location-iph01954dc44/15.0/ios/15.0

Once I started sharing my location, I was able to select " Notify when left behind" for my watch.

However, it still doesn't work . . .

Sep 21, 2021 11:02 AM in response to rsbetc

This happened to me too. Try toggling Notify When Left Behind off, then restart both your phone and watch, and go back and turn the setting on.

This process worked for my iPhone (12) but not my Apple Watch (old Series 3.) Watch says "not supported" but now when I leave my iPhone behind, I get a left behind notification when I'm a few blocks away from my home.

Oct 1, 2021 1:22 PM in response to Janknitz

FYI. SpringGlenL (aka lilla45) - I had two accounts, and deleted the lilla45 one.

Thank you for your reply. I read both links, and did not find a problem with my settings.

I am sharing the location of my iPhone (Xs Max), and the option to “Notify when left behind” for my watch (Series 6) is grayed out so I am unable to enable it.

Today I installed iOS 15.0.1 (includes fixes for Notify when left behind) and restarted both my iPhone and my

Watch. Result: no change. The option to "Notify when left behind" for my Watch remains grayed out.

Observation: Find My > Me > says this...

My Location: This device and cellular Apple Watches

Share My Location: Enabled

My Watch has cellular built-in but I have not activated cellular for my watch, just my phone..

Q: Is it possible that the option to "Notify when left behind" for my watch is grayed out because my Watch does not have cellular enabled?

Oct 1, 2021 1:48 PM in response to lilla45

I don't have cellular and my options are no longer greyed out, because I enabled location services for my iPhone. One other hint, check the "Find Devices" on your watch and make sure that's enabled too.

So there's an app you can get for apple devices called "support". I don't remember if it's pre-loaded in the IOS or you have to find it in the app store--search "Apple Support". They will help you through SMS in the app. I like this because I can do other things while waiting for responses and you have a record of their suggestions.

Be specific you are asking for help with "separation alerts". It may take a try or two to help them understand exactly the issue. You can send them screen shots to help illustrate your questions.

Let us know!

‘Notify When Left Behind’ not available on Apple Watch Series 6 watchOS 8.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.