Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine

Hello. Everybody

so, Time machine will delete the older files when the disk becomes full, correct ?

Now, Let’s say I have a work file like : Excel, Word, Numbers and etc and then when I plug in my back up drive it will automatically back it up to Time Machine right ?

so after that I delete my files on the mac and my disk becomes full and delete the old files. The question is Can I still access that work files or is it also deleted when it becomes full ? And also cause it’s not available anymore in the mac drive ?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 6:41 AM

2 replies

Sep 25, 2021 7:40 PM in response to Budi_12

It sounds like what you are asking is that if you intentionally delete files from your Mac because your Mac is getting full, can you get those files back from your Time Machine when you need them. If that is the case, you should definitely not be taking that approach.

If you delete files from your Mac’s hard drive, the Mac and Time Machine assume that you don’t want those files. Time Machine will allow you to recover files you deleted if you get to them soon enough, but after a while Time Machine will overwrite those deleted files. Of course, Time Machine is a great solution for recovering files you deleted but didn’t really want to delete. But it you don’t really have any control over when Time Machine overwrites the files you deleted.

You should not rely on Time Machine the way you might rely on an external drive to hold files that don’t fit on your Mac.

Time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.