You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini M1 sound quality

Recently my Mac Mini M1 started having issues with sound quality where the audio sounds like a very low bit rate stream. It would work normally for a while and then change to this low quality output for a while before switching back to normal audio quality.

This is happening across any audio device connected to the Mac via cable or bluetooth and any audio output not just music being streamed from the Internet.

Anyone else seeing this issue or know what could be the cause?

Mac mini, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 7:52 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 13, 2021 4:42 AM in response to dewalt129

I finally figured out the cause of this issue. When I have audio playing on the Mac and another application is trying to use the microphone the audio quality drops down.

For example:

I am streaming music from the Internet using the Music app, when I open a remote desktop connection to my Windows laptop and I have microphone box checked as one of the devices to share in the remote session the audio quality drops. When I disable the mic option in the RDC app the audio quality is fine. The same thing happens when I start a audio/video call with Microsoft Teams or Webex.

With additional testing I found that this only happens with I have my Poly Sync20 connected to the Mac and its being used as the input device. When I change the input device to the mic attached to my webcam or another speakerphone device the audio quality is fine.

I guess the Poly Sync20 is trying to reduce background audio when its mic is in use. I'll be reaching out to Poly to see this is expected behavior or possibly a bug in the firmware.

Mac Mini M1 sound quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.