Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add my own private domain to the new icloud mail?

I received an email that I've been upgraded to icloud+. It says that i can bring my own domain to icloud mail. I already own my own domain, so i just would need to add it to icloud+ mail. Where do i add my own domain's imap and smtp settings to icloud+ mail?? How do i do that?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 2:12 PM

Well, I just attempted this today. Scratching my head a lot as instructions end up to clutter my browser completely with endless portions of information. The smallest hassle was changing DNS records, but to understand how iCloud mail works was more of a challenge. I believe I understand now that one can have ONE valid mailbox per domain. You are allowed to add 2 aliases per domain. They all end up in the same inbox. To me, this is a strange limitation as I like to separate the incoming mails. If you want additional aliases, they use the iCloud.com domain. Reason for this - no idea. I spent a full evening trying to figure out what is happening, very frustrating...

I contacted Apple support - and basically understood that they do not have a clue themselves how this works..

I have only changed DNS records, so reverting is just to restore DNS. Have not decided yet, but I do feel this solution is not really optimal for me, and possibly more people...

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2021 2:12 PM in response to JEPickar

Well, I just attempted this today. Scratching my head a lot as instructions end up to clutter my browser completely with endless portions of information. The smallest hassle was changing DNS records, but to understand how iCloud mail works was more of a challenge. I believe I understand now that one can have ONE valid mailbox per domain. You are allowed to add 2 aliases per domain. They all end up in the same inbox. To me, this is a strange limitation as I like to separate the incoming mails. If you want additional aliases, they use the iCloud.com domain. Reason for this - no idea. I spent a full evening trying to figure out what is happening, very frustrating...

I contacted Apple support - and basically understood that they do not have a clue themselves how this works..

I have only changed DNS records, so reverting is just to restore DNS. Have not decided yet, but I do feel this solution is not really optimal for me, and possibly more people...

Sep 22, 2021 9:09 AM in response to Miche11e_P

Thank you. I am considering changing my MX records and hosting my personal domain email addresses through iCloud+ mail rather than through my registrar as explained through the link you sent. But that’s a lot to do and it’s very involved, and most likely hard to fix if something goes wrong. To alleviate any possible issues moving forward, I’m trying to consider every possible problem ahead of time to do damage control.

Are there any downsides you know of by doing this? How about privacy, or maybe not having total control about which email client I choose? What about Linux operating systems? Or apps iCloud doesn’t support?? Can I possibly find roadblocks or headaches like non-compatibility with any email client, messages or senders?? ANYTHING?? All responses from anyone with experience about this are welcome and requested. Thank you!!!

Oct 5, 2021 2:25 PM in response to uffez

I think you’re right on every point you make. I don’t know what the problem is here, but Apple does not seem to want to let us know that you cannot set up a domain if you have already used it as an Apple ID and then deleted it —-that’s the first problem! Secondly, as you point out, it’s wrongly advertised and very misleading to those of us who already own our own domains and are just looking to find a solution that incorporates with our iPhone. (My issue: calendar, contacts, & tasks.)

Even further, we’re really screwed because even MacOS doesn’t incorporate with iOS! Just got a brand new Mac air and it can’t even see my reminders or my notes!! Why do I even try??!

How do I add my own private domain to the new icloud mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.