Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Still huge functionality hole in Numbers...

... unless I'm still missing something, this is rather unbelievable. Run-of-the-mill Numbers worksheet - multiple columns, etc. and unfortunately, I need to add a cell to the first column - or delete a cell. Sure you can do it, if you're happy to disrupt all your other columns.

If I'm missing something, by all means, school me. If not, how has this little issue remained unresolved for years? It's because of this I rely much more on Excel.

Just frustrated, friends - no need to reply.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 10:34 PM

What you are missing, I suspect is that Apple does not consider this an issue.

Numbers tables conform to a data base model in which each row is a record, and each column is a field in the record.

You can delete a record or insert a record by deleting or inserting a row.

You can delete a field from, or add a field to, all records in the table by deleting or adding a column.

That said, you can easily delete the contents of a single cell and move the contents of all cells below it up one row with these steps:

• Select the cell below the one you want to 'delete'.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the table, then shift-click on the last cell in that column to add it and all cells between it and the single cell you selected above to the selection.
  • Press command-C to copy the contents of these cells to the clipboard.
  • *Click any cell not included in the selection to deselect those cells, then click once on the bottom cell of the column containing the cell to be 'deleted,' and press delete to remove the contents of that cell.*
  • Scroll back to the cell you wish to 'delete'. Click once on that cell to select it.
  • Press command-V to paste the contents copied from the cells below into the 'deleted' cell and those below it.

Done.

*This step is the cautious approach that removes the contents of only the last cell in the column, and, at the step following, replaces the content of each remaining cell with the content copied from the cell below it when you press command-V.

You can omit the starred step by pressing command-X instead of command-C at the step before. This 'cuts' the content from the selected cells and places it on the clipboard. Until you complete the next step (selecting the cell to be 'deleted' and pasting the clipboard content back into the table), the only copy of that data is the copy on the clipboard (plus any backup copies).

Takes many words to describe, but very little action to accomplish.

Regards,

Barry

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2021 10:34 PM in response to Rick Hess

What you are missing, I suspect is that Apple does not consider this an issue.

Numbers tables conform to a data base model in which each row is a record, and each column is a field in the record.

You can delete a record or insert a record by deleting or inserting a row.

You can delete a field from, or add a field to, all records in the table by deleting or adding a column.

That said, you can easily delete the contents of a single cell and move the contents of all cells below it up one row with these steps:

• Select the cell below the one you want to 'delete'.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the table, then shift-click on the last cell in that column to add it and all cells between it and the single cell you selected above to the selection.
  • Press command-C to copy the contents of these cells to the clipboard.
  • *Click any cell not included in the selection to deselect those cells, then click once on the bottom cell of the column containing the cell to be 'deleted,' and press delete to remove the contents of that cell.*
  • Scroll back to the cell you wish to 'delete'. Click once on that cell to select it.
  • Press command-V to paste the contents copied from the cells below into the 'deleted' cell and those below it.

Done.

*This step is the cautious approach that removes the contents of only the last cell in the column, and, at the step following, replaces the content of each remaining cell with the content copied from the cell below it when you press command-V.

You can omit the starred step by pressing command-X instead of command-C at the step before. This 'cuts' the content from the selected cells and places it on the clipboard. Until you complete the next step (selecting the cell to be 'deleted' and pasting the clipboard content back into the table), the only copy of that data is the copy on the clipboard (plus any backup copies).

Takes many words to describe, but very little action to accomplish.

Regards,

Barry

Sep 24, 2021 9:53 AM in response to Barry

Thanks, Barry,

I've utilized those techniques before - they do work and I can, to some extent, maybe understand Apple's logic.

I still think life would be easier and faster if there was simply an "insert cell" or "delete cell" command, and the simply move cells up/down or left/right.

At any rate - thank much - good answer!

Rick

Sep 24, 2021 12:34 PM in response to Rick Hess

"I still think life would be easier and faster if there was simply an "insert cell" or "delete cell" command, and the simply move cells up/down or left/right."

Hi Rick,

You can express that wish to Apple using the the Provide Numbers Feedback menu item in the Numbers menu. Choose the menu item and make a Feature enhancement request.

Apple's development team members do not read or otherwise participate in these user-to-user communities.

Regards,

Barry

Still huge functionality hole in Numbers...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.