You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Direct manual 14.8 iOS download

Need the manual 14.8 iOS update version as the phone is already going from 14.1 to 15

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 10:00 PM

11 replies

Sep 23, 2021 11:11 AM in response to Saab_guy

As far as I remember your IPSW file was linked to a website? Yes or no?

They jailbreak your phone, goodness knows what they inject into the code.

You cannot post dangerous links on here.

The KB wording is very clear

"If you're using iOS or iPadOS 14.5 or later, you might now see the option to choose between two software update versions. ."

Click on this link

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Sep 23, 2021 7:26 AM in response to LD150

Yes the mods removed my post where I mentioned manually updating via IPSW file which I’m 95% sure used to be part of the official procedure from Apple, like if a phone was having an issue updating. Heck you can still use iTunes to load an IPSW file so if this is an unapproved method someone should tell the iTunes team.

Further confusing things is this section on the iOS 15 page:

”Software Updates

iOS may now offer a choice between two software update versions in the Settings app. You can update to the latest version of iOS 15 as soon as it’s released for the latest features and most complete set of security updates. Or continue on iOS 14 and still get important security updates.”

So Apple is saying we can continue using iOS 14 and get security updates. Yet when I go into the Settings app all I see is the iOS 15 upgrade. Nothing about iOS 14. So I’m forced to either use an insecure OS or upgrade to 15 which I don’t want to do.

Sep 23, 2021 8:57 AM in response to Saab_guy

IPSW files from "the web" require jailbreaking (or rather in the process of installing you are in fact jailbreaking but they don't tell you)

Cannot discuss that here.

IPSW file still on your computer from the last update is different but cannot be used after Apple quits signing them.

Yes you have a choice of 14.8 or 15 provided you are currently on 14.5 or later. You say you are on 14.1 so unfortunately you missed the boat.

Sep 23, 2021 10:25 AM in response to LD150

The process of installing an IPSW file in no way is jail breaking. You use iTunes to load the IPSW file which comes right from Apple. Whenever you update your phone that very IPSW file is on your computer. I’m looking at the 14.7.1 file on my work laptop right now, from when I updated someone’s phone. Apple is still signing 14.8. Maybe Apple didn’t like that I linked to a site that had all the IPSW files. Fair enough. But for them to claim iOS 14 users like the original poster will still get security updates is apparently false. I have no idea why they wouldn’t provide the updates needed to get to 14.8. Unlike the original poster I’m on 14.4.2, yet I’m still being forced into iOS 15, despite their own website verbiage.

Sep 23, 2021 1:21 PM in response to LD150

Well the IPSW file still needs to be validated and signed by Apple during the restore and from what I’ve read any additional code would break the signing/validation process. At the end of the day I just think it’s a bad decision by Apple to leave out certain iOS 14 users from getting this crucial 14.8 update. I figured 14 would cover all versions, guess they think differently.

Oct 13, 2021 3:36 AM in response to LD150

I'm not sure what you see that makes one think these are to jailbreak your device? My new iPad came with iOS 15 on it and unfortunately my company's apps still aren't updated to work on iOS 15. I now have a new iPad for work that I can't use because of this and am looking to go back to 14.8 so that I have functioning work apps on my iPad. Is this possible?

Direct manual 14.8 iOS download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.