You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replying to an email with "Hide My Email" address?

How do I respond to emails from the "Hide My Email" address. The email was forwarded to my real email but I want to reply with the fake "Hide My Email" address. When I click reply from my real email address it shows my real email so defeats the purpose of it being hidden. How do I go about doing this? On apples support page it says you can reply with hide my email but they don't explain how to do it.

Thank you !!

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 7:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 1:12 PM

I thought at first this didn't work either, but it does. I used a generated email to get some info. Looking at the email I received it shows To with the hide my email address, and it even generated an email for the sender. I tried to fwd the message to my work email and I could see my real email, which made me think it did not work. I then emailed the hide my email from my work and it looked like the other sender's email with my hide my address and an email generated for my work address. I responded to my work email test message and when I looked at the header received it was from the hide my email address. So my actual email was never compromised. It is just confusing because when you hit reply it shows you your actual email address.

26 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 10, 2021 1:12 PM in response to GK427IV

I thought at first this didn't work either, but it does. I used a generated email to get some info. Looking at the email I received it shows To with the hide my email address, and it even generated an email for the sender. I tried to fwd the message to my work email and I could see my real email, which made me think it did not work. I then emailed the hide my email from my work and it looked like the other sender's email with my hide my address and an email generated for my work address. I responded to my work email test message and when I looked at the header received it was from the hide my email address. So my actual email was never compromised. It is just confusing because when you hit reply it shows you your actual email address.

Nov 22, 2021 11:54 AM in response to obscurD

Here is my problem: I use "hide my email" to purchase something from Guitar Center....after which they sent adverts I do not want. In order to unsubscribe you must email a different G.C. address. In composing a new email it does not offer me the "hide my email" address as an option......So how do you populate a new email with the "hide my email" address you used when sending to a different initial address? Ugh! Dennis

Nov 13, 2021 4:17 AM in response to HarleyRunner

Hi. I tried this but it did not work for me, or maybe my understanding is not correct. I received an email to my “Hide my email” I’d and as a test I replied to it but sent it to my partner to check if it works - My partner could see the real email address. Am confused how does the reply function works and how to reliably test it?

Thanks

Oct 21, 2021 6:16 AM in response to MichelleT18

@MichelleT18

Thank you so so much!

As you can see below, Apple Support couldn’t even answer this simple question!!!! Claiming that I need help ‘using a fake IP’….I mean technically it’s a forwarding domain but when you work for apple, that’s not how you should explain or talk professionally as a support agent for Apple! I’m a loyal Apple Guru, I love ios15 and the new features & iCloud+ users ….we now get more bang for our buck, an apple understands how important identity fraud & data protection is…especially with the relay option as well….putting the end user first where we have more and more control of our data and the the impact toxic data has across the board, and while many different tech giants are moving in the same direction to ensure that the best standard practices are in enforced to ensure end users with trained support staff that can respond to simple queries with professionalism when need be……brand loyalty is everything in todays competing digital era.

Hopefully, this simple and correct answer is noticed and appreciated by others.

Warm regards,

S

Sep 23, 2021 2:45 PM in response to obscurD

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities obscurD,

We understand you have questions about responding to email sent from an email address generated with Hide My Email, and linked to the communities from Learn more about Hide My Email and iCloud+.

When you respond, your personal email address will remain private. The new message will appear as if it was from the Hide My Email address.

You can find additional information, here: Create unique, random email addresses with Hide My Email and iCloud+

We hope this helps!

Nov 24, 2021 12:38 PM in response to brianh159

@brianfromindialantic

Ditto. Many ISP’s and their ‘direct,’ or indirect’ affiliate mail filtering services are blocking iOS users with iCloud+ and it’s ‘hide my email’ service which isn’t a surprise to me or others.

We knew this day was coming anyway and Apple will find a workaround once their ‘Relay’ feature, currently in its Beta version, works and works well! …..

Can apple create something that will save ‘all’ their loyal users from having to purchase a separate yearly VPN/Encrypted network…time will tell.

Dec 3, 2021 3:32 AM in response to MichelleT18

Hey! How about hiding your email right from the email app when creating a new email? How do you go about doing that? Say I want to email an online shop inquiring about their product but don't want to share my real email with them, does the iCloud+ help in that regard?

For example, my real email is 123@456.com but want to use an autogenerated email instead to send my inquiry, is that possible?

Replying to an email with "Hide My Email" address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.