Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 15.0 tab groups lost after each restart

Safari 15.0 seems to have trouble syncing tab groups with iCloud or retaining its current status. I took some time to set up several tab groups, but each time Safari or my Mac are restarted it reverts back to the full set of open tabs that I had before updating to 15.0 and the tab groups sidebar shows no tab groups created yet. When left loose, the open tabs show as iCloud options on my iPhone (iOS 15), but once groups there are none shown on my phone. Tab groups also aren't syncing across devices, which I think is how it's supposed to work.

Any suggestions for a library file that might need deleted to free this up to work correctly, without risking losing my current set of open tabs or my bookmarks? Or other solution? Or maybe it's just a straight up bug that will have to be fixed in a future Safari update.

FWIW, I generally like the changes in 15.0 so far (although restoring the option to pin tabs within a group would be highly desirable).

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 10:44 AM

15 replies

Sep 26, 2021 1:45 PM in response to DaviCon

I am also having this issue. Tab group sync across devices and backup to icloud do not seem to work most of the time. Groups I create on my iphone show up there until I exit the app and then often are gone when the app is restarted. Similarly groups I create on my MBP are lost when I exit and reload Safari.

The tabs that are created on one device do not seem to sync to icloud and then appear on other devices.

It seems to all be 99% broken. Except that I did originally create a few bogus test tab groups immediately after installing and they seemed to sync to icloud and propagate across devices but that doesn't seem to be working anymore. I did not change anything.

Disappointing. One would think this core feature of the updated Safari would have been tested and mostly functional at the time of deployment. Crazy, Back to Chrome until they sort this out.

Sep 29, 2021 2:53 PM in response to DaviCon

Same issue here. I disabled Safari for iCloud and that seems to do the trick. I think it may take some small amount of time after you disable or have to reboot. I tested right after disabling iCloud for Safari and the issue was still happening. I rebooted and then tested an hour later and the tabs are no longer lost. Leave iCloud sync for Safari off until Apples fixes this.

Disable iCloud for Safari: System Preferences > Apple ID > Apps on this Mac using iCloud > Safari (uncheck)

Missy5937, what is the thinking behind resetting a router to fix this issue? If the router was down browser pages wouldn't open at all.

Sep 23, 2021 3:05 PM in response to DaviCon

Hello DaviCon,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're running into an issue with a new feature in Safari, Group tabs. From the description you've provided it does sound as though you're following the correct options, Group tabs in Safari on Mac however the settings are saving or syncing with iCloud to your other devices.

Have you tried restarting your router to see if that helps everything sync as it should? If you create a Tab Group on your iPhone, does that sync to your Mac?

Use tabs in Safari on iPhone

Let us know and we'll continue researching potential solutions.

Best regards.

Sep 26, 2021 10:20 AM in response to DaviCon

I have exactly the same issue. Big Sur 11.6, Late 2018 MBP 15".

I created 3 tab groups when Safari 15 ran for the first time. Those remain OK. But, ever since that, any tab at the top level or any new tab group created, gets lost when I restart Safari or the computer.

On my iPhone I can see tabs in the cloud that do not exist on my Mac any longer...

Tab groups is a hugely welcome feature - I only wish it would work...

I use no router, but my iPhone as a hotspot thru a cable connection (EHS symptoms in the family, no chance to use WiFi or any radiating technology...)

Somehow I do not believe it is a cloud sync issue. Safari itself fails to remember its own status at.

Sep 26, 2021 11:25 AM in response to Missy5937

I've seen these suggestions, and tried the following:

Logged out out of iCloud, stopped iCloud sync, both on the Mac and on the iPhone. Restarted both devices, switched on iCloud sync on both... and nothing happened. The iPhone still shows Mac tabs that had been closed a couple days ago. Safari 15 on he mac is not able to remember any of my new tabs or tab groups...

Oct 5, 2021 9:12 AM in response to DaviCon

Yeah, I had this problem this morning - all my tabs from last night disappeared. All of them - just the Start Page this morning. I just updated to 11.6 on this iMac yesterday, maybe the day before. Awful.

I do have Safari synced across devices - I had stopped using that (quite some time ago) because it was screwing up so much (unrecoverable problems). But I recently re-enabled it before 11.6 and it seemed to (mostly) be working. I have never had a problem with the previous-night's tabs disappearing until 11.6. I reported this at Apple's product feedback site.

I guess the only workaround is to bookmark your tabs before quitting Safari. If you are synced, be sure to watch the bookmarks for about 30 seconds after doing that. Apple still has the (occasional) problem of disappearing bookmarks when Safari is synced.

I have noticed other issues like this; window preferences and the like that Big Sur seems to have a problem with. Booting up in the morning. I see windows coming up in positions where I had not left them the night before.

Oct 20, 2021 12:59 PM in response to gatgatgat

Unfortunately I had too many issues with sync and lost tabs on the new Safari. I like the interface concept and would use it as primary browser if it worked but it does not.

I also had bad performance with many tabs and widows open. Something isn't scaling well ie it's not just the one foreground tab using memory and CPU.

And Google webpages such as Gmail are terribly broken and unusable.

Back to chrome unfortunately. Maybe Safari will be ready for prime time someday.

Oct 21, 2021 3:03 PM in response to gatgatgat

I see a number of folks commenting on the iCloud storage limits. I have almost 42GB free, so I know my issue is not iCloud memory-related per se, though server problems may still be at fault.

As I mentioned before, Big Sur seems to have problems with remembering a number of window settings, and I suspect the tab issue is one of them. A finder window came up in a funny location this morning, and the Activity Monitor sometimes comes up with the wrong settings on boot-up.

The bookmark sync feature is still buggy but better. I will admit that I had never seen tabs disappear until I resynced but I did that just before I updated to Big Sur.

Safari 15.0 tab groups lost after each restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.