You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen Macbook Pro

my laptop was stolen by my ex-wife. I located it and did a remote lock. Law enforcement will not do anything about it. With it being locked can my ex wife have someone break into the laptop or have someone remove the hard drive and access my information?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 4:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 4:50 PM

shaddy0316 Said:

"Stolen Macbook Pro: my laptop was stolen by my ex-wife. I located it and did a remote lock. Law enforcement will not do anything about it. With it being locked can my ex wife have someone break into the laptop or have someone remove the hard drive and access my information?"

-------

Soldered-in Hard Drives:

Just how old is this MBP? Nowadays (and since 2015 or so), hard drives are soldered onto the LogicBoard. So, the only way to get it off of such a device, is to have Apple or an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) unsolder it. If it is much older, with a plug in Hard Drive, then it could be read with an adapter. But, if it is encrypted, then there is no worries (without a password, that is).

Modify Your Credentials — ASAP:

If you are concerned with theft of data and accessibility, then consider modifying your credentials:

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 23, 2021 4:50 PM in response to shaddy0316

shaddy0316 Said:

"Stolen Macbook Pro: my laptop was stolen by my ex-wife. I located it and did a remote lock. Law enforcement will not do anything about it. With it being locked can my ex wife have someone break into the laptop or have someone remove the hard drive and access my information?"

-------

Soldered-in Hard Drives:

Just how old is this MBP? Nowadays (and since 2015 or so), hard drives are soldered onto the LogicBoard. So, the only way to get it off of such a device, is to have Apple or an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) unsolder it. If it is much older, with a plug in Hard Drive, then it could be read with an adapter. But, if it is encrypted, then there is no worries (without a password, that is).

Modify Your Credentials — ASAP:

If you are concerned with theft of data and accessibility, then consider modifying your credentials:

Stolen Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.