You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay passcode

Today all of a sudden I cannot airplay music to my Sonos speakers anymore. It’s asking for my airplay password. I have gone into my “home” settings and deactivated the toggle to not require a password. I have set a password and entered it and it won’t accept it. I have checked that I’m connected to my network. I have rebooted my phone.

it still asks for a password.

any tips?

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 6:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 4:26 AM

Having the same problem with my BOSE Soundtouch speaker.

Like everyone else, I believe the issue is with iOS, in my case the issue occurred in iOS 13 and still present in iOS 15.

I have 3 BOSE speakers. One uses Airplay 1 and works fine, the other 2 uses Airplay 2 and only 1 of them works consistently.

I have found that when I reset the speaker with the Airplay issue (ST 300 soundbar) it works but only for a short while, maybe a day... then it drops off again and starts asking for an Airplay password, nothing I input seems to work. I've googled high and low and nothing suggested seems to fix the problem. I did read something that maybe it's a router problem, and I might have too many devices connected which if I'm honest that might be a possibility. But I'm not sure how I would go about solving that.

It's a right PAIN resetting the speaker every time, as each time I have to also recalibrate my surround sound speakers and sub! In the end I've just given up and resorted to using the soundtouch app and/ or bluetooth.. not seemless like airplay but at least it works. What a shame.

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 29, 2021 4:26 AM in response to JBaugh2

Having the same problem with my BOSE Soundtouch speaker.

Like everyone else, I believe the issue is with iOS, in my case the issue occurred in iOS 13 and still present in iOS 15.

I have 3 BOSE speakers. One uses Airplay 1 and works fine, the other 2 uses Airplay 2 and only 1 of them works consistently.

I have found that when I reset the speaker with the Airplay issue (ST 300 soundbar) it works but only for a short while, maybe a day... then it drops off again and starts asking for an Airplay password, nothing I input seems to work. I've googled high and low and nothing suggested seems to fix the problem. I did read something that maybe it's a router problem, and I might have too many devices connected which if I'm honest that might be a possibility. But I'm not sure how I would go about solving that.

It's a right PAIN resetting the speaker every time, as each time I have to also recalibrate my surround sound speakers and sub! In the end I've just given up and resorted to using the soundtouch app and/ or bluetooth.. not seemless like airplay but at least it works. What a shame.

Sep 25, 2021 7:42 AM in response to 1ssmith

Thank you for the time and resources in your reply.

Unfortunately, they didn’t help me. I still cannot figure out how to get them to play again. Every time I attempt to Airplay I am asked for a password. When I enter the password Home has listed it rejects the password. If I turn off the “require a password” toggle, it still asks for a password.

My speakers work through other methods which means they are connected to my network.

This is an iPhone/ Airplay problem. I suspect it began when I did the most recent update prior to iOS 15.

Again, thank you for the support.

Oct 7, 2021 11:19 AM in response to Nicholas_B2

I have this same issue. I understand that previously when adding an AirPlay device you could indicate "no password" for legacy devices (that have AirPlay 2 functionality added via software upgrade). This option is not available in iOS 15. And before that, NO PASSWORD was required (as in everything before iOS 14).

The issue is not with Sonos. The issue is with Apple. My iPad "sees" the audio device but can not connect because iOS requires a password for the device. This happens even if not using the Sonos app, it happens in Control Center. So the connectivity issue has NOTHING to do with Sonos and everything to do with an iOS 15 requirement for a password.

Apple, please give us the option to add a device with "no password". We understand you think this is a great security feature but it is incompatible with equipment many of your users already own, and this is a problem. You have removed core functionality that we previously relied on and did not provide a work-around. Not all AirPlay 2 enabled devices have a password, and many do not have the capacity to add a password.

My "legacy" AirPlay devices represent a substantial investment that I can only access with an iPhone still running iOS 13. It seems ridiculous that my old device works and my new iPad does not. /rantover/

Sep 25, 2021 7:02 AM in response to JBaugh2

Hello JBaugh2! Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you’re unable to AirPlay music to your Sonos speakers. We'd like to look into this with you to see how we can help. 

Sonos Support provides the following resource to assist with using AirPlay with your Sonos speakers. The info under additional details as to why AirPlay may not be working: Stream AirPlay audio to Sonos

Apple also provides the following info: Use AirPlay to stream audio

Make it a great day!

Oct 7, 2021 12:03 PM in response to glacier76

SOLVED - tl/dr: the AirPlay password is likely the same as your Router password... just type in your Router password when prompted by AirPlay. (In my case it was the password for my secondary/guest network, not my primary network.)

More context: I have/had this same issue. Only the AirPlay speaker I was trying to connect is a Marantz AV receiver, not Sonos speakers. This was designed with AirPlay functionality and a software update gave it AirPlay 2 so it seamlessly connects with iOS for music streaming. Denon/Marantz customer support had no solution to the issue after spending 30+ minutes on the phone with them (I was pleasantly surprised I got to a CSR in 2-3 minutes, with no call back needed). Then I contacted Apple support, got bounced to 3 different people. The senior technical rep i ended up with also had no idea how to solve this issue but she suggested downloading the HEOS companion app from Denon. I did this, but still had no success. Then I found an obscure post by "hanmir" showing iOS screenshots of an advanced HEOS setup screen. This wasn't my answer but it ultimately got me there.

HEOS has an advanced setting (go to Music tab, then select the gear icon in upper left, then navigate into Connection). I couldn't believe it: there was an AirPlay password I had never set (same password as the "guest" wifi network on my router - I still have no idea how that populated). At any rate that password worked when I added the AirPlay 2 enabled receiver via the Home app. Then I deleted the HEOS app because their data collection is pretty invasive (it already scanned my home network for all connected devices). I'm not sure this solution helps anyone with non-Denon/Marantz products, but it solved my issue after many hours of internet searching, support chats with Apple, and phone calls to Denon/Marantz and Apple.

Airplay passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.