Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Update

Hi,

Can you please help me to update me MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015).

Currently i got High Sierra 10.13.6 and i am struggling to find a new update.

I work on Imovie a lot and i could't update it for a new version, update suggested to download older version, so i delated current one, and now i can't download the one from Apple store because is no supported by my system, and i can't find a way of update my system to make it completable with new Imovie?

Overall, there is a lot of information, and i am confused. I downloaded update file for Catalina 10.15.6 but i can't install it because my system does't support it...

Please advice?

Ilija Resimic

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 12:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 3:46 AM

Your mac can be upGRADED to the current OS, which is Big Sur.

As P. Phillips said, there is a difference between "update" (which is from versions of the same OS, like 10.13 to 10.13.6) and

"upgrade" (which is to a new OS, like High Sierra 10.13.* to Catalina 10.15.* or Big Sur 11.*).

Doing do anything without having a full BACKUP.

We need to have at least some 40GB of free space, preferably more.

Go to the App Store, search for Big Sur. Download and install.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2021 3:46 AM in response to ilija23

Your mac can be upGRADED to the current OS, which is Big Sur.

As P. Phillips said, there is a difference between "update" (which is from versions of the same OS, like 10.13 to 10.13.6) and

"upgrade" (which is to a new OS, like High Sierra 10.13.* to Catalina 10.15.* or Big Sur 11.*).

Doing do anything without having a full BACKUP.

We need to have at least some 40GB of free space, preferably more.

Go to the App Store, search for Big Sur. Download and install.

Sep 25, 2021 2:20 AM in response to ilija23

From your description you appear to have downloaded an upDate file for Catalina. The upDate file is Not the Full Installation file. Below is the method to get the FULL INSTALLERS for various versions of macOS.

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install. Make sure to use Only Safari to commence the download as Others may not work. Safari will open a redirect and open the Apple Store where you can commence the download. If an error message appears, that is probably because one is using another Browser.

Suggest using Go64 to find 32 bit application before attempting the upGrade. Some or many of the Application already installed may required update or upGrades to 64 Bit Versions.

Make a Time Machine Backup Before attempting. Notation - Mojave is the Last version to support 32 bit applications / extensions and Drivers. Catalina & Big Sur supports only 64 bit and there is no workaround.

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation

System Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.