📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Find My iPhone “erase device” wipe all data including photos?

When you press “erase device” using Find My iPhone, will it wipe things like photos?

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 11:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 1:28 PM

Yes. See the following from Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item - Apple Support

What happens if you erase a device

When you erase your device, all of your information (including credit, debit, or prepaid cards for Apple Pay) is deleted from the device, and you won't be able to track it using Find My.

Where is states "all of your information" that includes any of your data on the device, including photos. Note that it only erases the device; it does not erase any of your data on iCloud.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 25, 2021 1:28 PM in response to Kaszra

Yes. See the following from Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item - Apple Support

What happens if you erase a device

When you erase your device, all of your information (including credit, debit, or prepaid cards for Apple Pay) is deleted from the device, and you won't be able to track it using Find My.

Where is states "all of your information" that includes any of your data on the device, including photos. Note that it only erases the device; it does not erase any of your data on iCloud.

Does Find My iPhone “erase device” wipe all data including photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.