Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I see apps to "clean my Mac". I have iMac late 2009 with High Sierra - do I really need these apps?

I see apps to "clean my Mac". I have iMac late 2009 with High Sierra - do I really need these apps?

And are they safe to use?

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 1:18 PM

another absolutely not!

the best way to keep your mac clean and secure is to use common sense. i would recommend you read Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community. it's a long read but it's worth your time to read every word.

11 replies

Sep 25, 2021 3:27 PM in response to mariettafrum

First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is desshoigned solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Also, unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, Zenmate, and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites

Sep 25, 2021 3:05 PM in response to mariettafrum

And for the trifecta:

Absolutely not.

There is no need to run any anti-virus, “cleaning”, “speed-up” or “optimizing” apps. In fact, most anti-virus and cleaning apps are less than helpful on the Mac and often cause more problems and headache than they prevent because they conflict with the macOS’ built in securities. If you currently have this type of app installed, you should uninstall it according to the developer's instructions, and continue to use best practices when using your Mac.

click> macOS - Security - Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.