Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Other in Manage Storage: what is it and how to reduce it?

On my MacBook Air, running Big Sur, the category "Other" is about 50% of my total storage.

How can I find out what is consuming such a large amount of storage?

Many thanks,

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 10:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 6:38 AM

To repeat what Apple has said is the Final Word on managing the " Other " Category.

• Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

One is guessing the issue is Really the Capacity of the Internal drive and might be the tiny 128 GB SSD. Though sold by Apple and IMHO should have started with 256 GB - sorry to say, it is what it is !!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2021 6:38 AM in response to blackcomb greens

To repeat what Apple has said is the Final Word on managing the " Other " Category.

• Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

One is guessing the issue is Really the Capacity of the Internal drive and might be the tiny 128 GB SSD. Though sold by Apple and IMHO should have started with 256 GB - sorry to say, it is what it is !!

Sep 26, 2021 7:47 AM in response to blackcomb greens

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac do this first and then check again. The numbers may change for the better.

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper

See used and available storage space on your Mac

From above link

Other in Manage Storage: what is it and how to reduce it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.