Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn on NFC tag reader on iPhone

I’m using iPhone 12 with ios 15. I can’t find NFC tag Reader in control Centre or anywhere in settings. Please specify how can i use nfc tag reader

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 12:10 PM

1. On your iPhone, open the Shortcuts app.
  2. Tap on the Automation tab at the bottom of your screen.
  3. Tap on Create Personal Automation.
  4. Scroll down and select NFC.
  5. Tap on Scan.
  6. Put your iPhone near the NFC tag.
  7. Enter a name for your tag.
  8. Tap on Add Action.

22 replies

Dec 2, 2021 10:31 AM in response to muddler007

The operating system doesn't determine whether a device supports NFC Chip readers. There's a difference between an iPad and iPhone and most people don't carry an iPad around like a cell phone. iPad also does not support Apple Wallet in the same manner as iPhone does. With iPhone, you can just tap your phone to a payment reader and the NFC chip works to pay. iPad doesn't have that capability.

To be absolutely certain, I'd reach out to Apple Support directly, but I suspect they will likely confirm your iPad doesn't have a NFC Chip reader.

Nov 18, 2021 12:15 AM in response to Alexoconnor

I had to set up a Shortcut as you suggested, on both my iPhone 12 mini and 13 Pro. But after tapping “Add Action”, I didn’t add anything and just saved it. Then I closed Shortcuts.

When I put my phone to the NFC tag (the same one I had used for setting up the Shortcut), lo and behold the Shortcut did pop up and read the NFC tag, and took me to the relevant website.

So thank you for the tip, even though I hope not to have to use the NFC tag reader too often!

Oct 15, 2021 12:32 PM in response to andreacro

I didn't name anything as I'm not an employee of Apple. This is a user to user only forum and Apple isn't here, just other users.

I've personally never tried nor do I know anything about writing NFC Tags, but I know my phones have read them just fine.

I'd recommend you reach out to Apple Support for help directly. They can better guide you based on what you're looking for.

You can use the Get Support button at the top of this page.

How to turn on NFC tag reader on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.