Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMessages being received on old & new phone

I upgraded my iPhone and gave my old iPhone to my daughter with her own phone number. She and I are receiving each other’s iMessages and FaceTime requests from mutual contacts but we aren’t alerted when we text each other. How do I fix this?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 12:05 PM

You may have assigned a separate phone number for your daughter however iMessage and FaceTime are registered to the same Apple ID as your new iPhone is. If this is the case, then I am sure that there is other data that is also being shared between the two iPhones. Best thing to do is erase the iPhone completely and then hand her the iPhone whereby she can create her own Apple ID and login with it. The process to do so is listed here ➔ What to do if you give away our iPhone. This way she will have her own Messages and FaceTime identities. You may also choose to use ➔ Family Sharing between the two of you.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2021 12:05 PM in response to janeal290

You may have assigned a separate phone number for your daughter however iMessage and FaceTime are registered to the same Apple ID as your new iPhone is. If this is the case, then I am sure that there is other data that is also being shared between the two iPhones. Best thing to do is erase the iPhone completely and then hand her the iPhone whereby she can create her own Apple ID and login with it. The process to do so is listed here ➔ What to do if you give away our iPhone. This way she will have her own Messages and FaceTime identities. You may also choose to use ➔ Family Sharing between the two of you.

Axel F.

IMessages being received on old & new phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.