Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music folders/files are added to iTunes Media folder instead of Music subdirectory

I recently migrated my iTunes library between hard drives on my Win10 PC (iTunes version 12.11.4.15) . After copying all content, I launched iTunes with the Shift key held down and was prompted to specify which database file to use, selecting the "iTunes Library.itl" file in the new location. Judging from iTunes Preferences, the path to the iTunes Media folder updated properly (see screenshot). Also, when viewing Song Info for individual tracks, the File tab displays an accurate pathname to each one (utilizing the new drive letter as well as the Music subdirectory beneath the iTunes Media folder location).

These preferences match those in use when my library was on the previous drive, and importing CDs had always placed the resultant folders/files into the \iTunes\iTunes Music\Music\ subdirectory as expected. However, now these folders/files are being added to the \iTunes\iTunes Music\ directory itself, which is the root level of the iTunes Media path specified by Preferences.

I'm a bit confused as to why this behavior changed and have had no luck attempting to determine the cause from researching other support posts. Please advise as to any possible remedy. Thanks!

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 1:41 PM

It may be because you selected the option to "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" but I'm not sure. Perhaps this article will help:

Make a split library portable - Apple Community

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 5, 2021 12:45 PM in response to javaliga

Thanks for that link! I was able to ferret out the solution among the detailed info in that article. Basically, somehow my iTunes library forgot that it was using the "iTunes 9 & later" folder layout (see image below) as a result of migrating from one drive to another. It had reverted to the "iTunes 8 & earlier" layout, which led to music files being organized improperly as described in my original post.

This one line in the linked article ended up being the key step to fixing my issue:

You can switch the library from the old layout to the new one using File > Library > Organize Library... > Rearrange files in the folder "<Media Folder>". This option is not available if the library is already in the new layout.

Sure enough, the option was unchecked despite the fact that the new layout had been correctly in use pre-migration. Thanks again for your help!

Sep 28, 2021 11:58 AM in response to javaliga

Thanks for your response! To which details are you referring me in the linked support article specifically, please?

I see from the Preferences image you copy/pasted that the iTunes Media folder location is different. It specifies a path that is typical for the default installation options on the main C: drive. However, I have a large library and don't want to waste SSD capacity on media files that tend to consume space quickly. I had used a similar alternate location (I:\iTunes\iTunes Music\) successfully for years prior to this migration. Only since this move have I noticed the undesired behavior when adding new music files, described in my original post above.

Music folders/files are added to iTunes Media folder instead of Music subdirectory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.