Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What software options do I have to upload HDV from a Sony HDR-HC3 which is not on the supported camera list?

I have a Sony HDR-HC3 HDV Handycam and would like to transfer video to the computer (really any compure) using the ilink (firewire) connection. The camera is not on the list of cameras supported by iMovie. I have used dongles to convert from firewire to Thunderbolt 3 and have also tried Thunderbolt on a Macbook pro. Neither recognize the camera. I also have a Sony GV HD700 with firewire output, and it isn't recognized either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 8:48 PM

For adapters to use, you might want to read thesurreyfriends post in the thread below:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252658303

-- Rich

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 26, 2021 6:32 PM in response to DLParker126

Most tape based camcorders are supported even though not listed. However, importing from tape based cameras into iMovie 10 can be a bit hit or miss, so no guarantee that it will work.

You don’t need any additional software. Plug in your camera to your Mac with a firewire cable. If you have a newer Mac that has no firewire socket, then you will need to use firewire to thunderbolt adapters to plug into your Mac, and possibly a USB-c final adapter (Thunderbolt 3).

— Rich

No guarantee it will work.

— Rich

What software options do I have to upload HDV from a Sony HDR-HC3 which is not on the supported camera list?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.