Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur upgrade from last version of Catalina went to home page log in. Log in takes to All black Set Up page with spinning beach ball.

Big Sur upgrade from Catalina hung up on Set Up page with spinning beach ball. Assume upgrade finished? Running last version of Catalina on 21.5 inch iMac with Retina display, 3.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz. 16GB RAM. 1TB Fusion Drive with 250GB space. Late 2017 model purchased in April 2018. Ran upgrade from SystemPreferences upgrade. System is on Ethernet vs. WiFi. Have waited 4 hours hoping upgrade was not finished, but realize I am probably in trouble.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 3:21 PM

Hey there laundry,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that your Mac appears to be stuck updating. We're happy to provide some assistance.

Let's see if the steps here help resolve the issue:

If your Mac starts up to an Apple logo or progress bar

Keep us posted.

Have a great day!

2 replies

Sep 28, 2021 8:15 AM in response to Rob_H1

Hi Rob

rebooted in Safe Mode

Original upgrade appeared to have worked, but I went thru steps below to make sure I have a clean install

checked repair disk in Disk Utilities, but no repair necessary

rebooted in recovery mode and reloaded Big Sur

This worked and have not seen any problems so far.

Thank you for your help

Big Sur upgrade from last version of Catalina went to home page log in. Log in takes to All black Set Up page with spinning beach ball.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.