Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete all Time Machine backups ...

I just begun doing Time Machine backups. I just realized that the files and folders selected where incorrect so I interrupted the backup.

I searched the web and found a way to delete previous backuped files from within Time Machine but am not sure what I was really doing. Info on the web is either outdated or applies to newer OS. I am still with Catalina.

I want to start all over again and want to delete all previous TM backups.

In Time Machine, I see only one file: iMacIntel.backupbundle. Can I simply delete that file that must include the 2 small backup sessions that I made. There is nothing to save from those backup.

Can I do that ?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 7:55 PM

Yes, you can just delete that file from the backup disk and start over.

I'd recommend that you erase ALL the files from the drive and start fresh. Don't mix any other files with the TM backups that will be stored there.

You might consider using Disk Utility to erase the drive, but that's just an option and not required.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2021 7:55 PM in response to Robert Lesperance

Yes, you can just delete that file from the backup disk and start over.

I'd recommend that you erase ALL the files from the drive and start fresh. Don't mix any other files with the TM backups that will be stored there.

You might consider using Disk Utility to erase the drive, but that's just an option and not required.

Delete all Time Machine backups ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.