Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 15 Notes Crash

I recently updated to iOS 15 on my iPhone XR and I can no longer access my notes app. Clicking on the app takes me to a white screen; after 15 seconds, the app automatically shuts down and kicks me to the Home Screen. This is really upsetting as I am unsure if my 6 years of notes still exist. I created an iCloud backup prior to updating to the new OS but I left this feature on by mistake and my phone continued to create new backups. My latest backup is from yesterday. Does anyone know if I can access an older backup and restore from that one? Is anyone else having this issue with notes? Is there a solution that doesn’t require restoring? Thanks in advance :(

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 1:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 3:50 PM

I found a fix that worked for me! I used my spotlight search (swipe down on home page) to search for an old note and I was able to select it and open the notes app without crashing. My notes app full function was restored after that. For those experiencing the same issue, try this and let me know if it works for you. I had tried everything else before this simple solution.

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2021 3:50 PM in response to sim54

I found a fix that worked for me! I used my spotlight search (swipe down on home page) to search for an old note and I was able to select it and open the notes app without crashing. My notes app full function was restored after that. For those experiencing the same issue, try this and let me know if it works for you. I had tried everything else before this simple solution.

Sep 27, 2021 2:12 PM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for trying to help but I don’t think you understood what I was saying. In fact, your answer has nothing to do with what I was saying. My app is crashing. I cannot open the notes app. The image that you sent is irrelevant. I’m not sure you even read my post. If someone else knows how to resolve this issue, please do let me know. It will be very much appreciated.

Nov 1, 2021 1:01 AM in response to sim54

I have the same problem. Turn on Notes App, it stays in 1 note but when i press "< all icloud" on the very top it crashes and takes me to my iphone home screen.

the only way i can get around is by pressing bottom button to create new notes and then hit "< icloud" to get back to main menu of Notes.

iphone 13 pro ios 15.1

backed up notes into my icloud

Dec 5, 2021 4:47 PM in response to hakkimfromadirai

My notes apps is crashing as well. If I created a note and do not exit out of the note (by going back to the Folder where all my other notes are), the next time I open up the Notes app and try to go back to my Folder, my app will automatically crash. I can close out the Notes app by swiping up in my running apps list, but even when I do that, once I reopen the app, it shows the same last note I created and the same thing happens again - if I try to go back to my Folder, it will crash. The only way around this is to create a new note, after which I can tap to go back to my Folder and it will work again without crashing. This has been happening for a couple of months already and none of the updates have fixed it. Wish I can post a screen video to show this but can only post photos.

iOS 15 Notes Crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.