Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not enough free space

Hello... my old iphone was Xs 256Gb, but when I transfered data to the new iPhone 12 256 gb, there is a message not enough free space.

The support guy said that my data size in the old iphone is 279 Gb, so I have to tranfsfer the data to iPhone with 512 Gb size, and manually delete unnecessary file.

Is there any other way to solve the problem?

Thank you..

[Email Edited by Moderator]

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 2:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 2:41 AM

It is obvious a 256Gb disc cannot store 279GB.

This indicates you have iCloud enabled on your XS. I would recommend the following.

1. Restore from iCloud Backup --> Restore or set up your device from an iCloud backup - Apple ...
  2. Restore from iTunes backup --> Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in iTunes on PC ...

After the restore process enable iCloud on you device. If you turn on Messages in iCloudiCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud and is available on all devices that use the same Apple ID

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2021 2:41 AM in response to Mediazas

It is obvious a 256Gb disc cannot store 279GB.

This indicates you have iCloud enabled on your XS. I would recommend the following.

1. Restore from iCloud Backup --> Restore or set up your device from an iCloud backup - Apple ...
  2. Restore from iTunes backup --> Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in iTunes on PC ...

After the restore process enable iCloud on you device. If you turn on Messages in iCloudiCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud and is available on all devices that use the same Apple ID

not enough free space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.