Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop not working for own contacts on iPhone 13 Pro Max

I just tried to send something via Airdrop to my wife's iPhone 12 mini using my new iPhone 13 Pro Max and it wouldn't find her phone. Her phone also won't find my phone. We both have airdrop set to contacts only, we are definitely in each other's contacts, our hotspots are turned off, I've restarted both phones. It only works when we set airdrop to Everyone. What am I missing here? Or is it another glitch in the iPhone 13 Pro Max's software? Because we've never had a problem before on my iPhone 11 Pro.

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 4:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 8:22 AM

I finally got it working too this morning. Not sure why I didn’t think of this. I ended up resetting the network settings - which that didn’t work.

So I decided to reset all settings on the iPhone and that resolved the issue. You’d think apple support would have suggested that, but nope they didn’t.

good chat and glad you’re working too! Hopefully this helps others so they don’t waste time with apple Teir 1 support.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2021 8:22 AM in response to MarcusJKX

I finally got it working too this morning. Not sure why I didn’t think of this. I ended up resetting the network settings - which that didn’t work.

So I decided to reset all settings on the iPhone and that resolved the issue. You’d think apple support would have suggested that, but nope they didn’t.

good chat and glad you’re working too! Hopefully this helps others so they don’t waste time with apple Teir 1 support.

Sep 28, 2021 6:48 AM in response to MarcusJKX

Hello MarcusJKX, 

AirDrop is a great feature, and you’ve come to a wonderful place for help! From the description you provided it sounds as though AirDrop is working when both devices are set to Everyone, but not when you have Contacts Only selected. 

When using AirPlay are you pointing both devices towards each other? If not, make sure they’re pointed towards each other, along with having Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled. You can find this information outlined in the following article. 

How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

You’ll also want to make sure that both devices are running the latest iOS version. You can find the steps for updating in the articles below. 

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

How to update to iOS 15 or iPadOS 15

Have a great day!

Sep 29, 2021 5:46 AM in response to MarcusJKX

Thank you for trying those steps MarcusJKX. 

In reference to pointing your devices towards each that is stated in the article How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch within the section titled On your iPhone 11 or later. We’re a peer-to-peer forum and want to make sure we’re doing all we can to provide a resolution. The steps provided although generic are crucial for reaching a resolution, and ensuring we don’t miss anything that could potentially be causing the issue. With being updated to iOS 15 the next step would be to restart your devices.

Restart your iPhone

If the issue persists then reaching out to Apple for additional assistance is the right direction from here. You can find their contact information via the Get Support website. 

Have a great rest of your week!

Oct 12, 2021 4:59 AM in response to Dennis Hagen

See below. It fixed the issue and I had a lot of customization on my iPhone, but if you want to resolve airdrop it’s worth the extra time to reset and just taking the time to reconfigure all your custom settings if you have any.

Steps to reset for those who don’t know if you’re running iOS 15 or later.

Settings - General - Transfer or Reset iPhone - Reset - Reset All Settings

• Reset All Settings: All settings—including network settings, the keyboard dictionary, the Home Screen layout, location settings, privacy settings, and Apple Pay cards—are removed or reset to their defaults. No data or media are deleted.

Nov 27, 2021 11:34 AM in response to MarcusJKX

Mine had the same problem and nothing was working.

Solved with the following steps.

There must be a conflict for the contacts between iPhone and iCloud.

1. Setting -> Your Name -> iCloud -> Turn On Contacts
  2. Merge
  3. Setting -> Your Name -> Sign Out (at the bottom page)
  4. Power Off and On the Phone
  5. Sign In Your iCloud Account

Hope it helps.

Sep 28, 2021 7:00 PM in response to 1ssmith

When using AirPlay are you pointing both devices towards each other?

I have never needed to point both devices towards each other, they simply need to be near one another. Like I said, it works when I set our AirDrop settings to Everyone. Are you saying that when it's set to Contacts Only, then we need to "point them towards one another"? That sounds a bit ridiculous. But just to humour you, I tried it and nope, still didn't work.

along with having Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled

Both Wifi and Bluetooth are enabled, obviously, since if not then it wouldn't work even when I set it to Everyone.

You’ll also want to make sure that both devices are running the latest iOS version. You can find the steps for updating in the articles below.

Both our devices are on iOS15. But no, I doubt this would've made a difference anyway since even if they were on iOS 14, AirDrop should still work.

Look, I'm really not interested in generic answers like these. If you don't actually know the answer then just sit this one out.

Oct 3, 2021 5:30 AM in response to MarcusJKX

Hi MarcusJKX,

it’s definitely probably a bug with the iPhone 13 Pro/Max. Same thing is happening to me and my parents who have older iPhones. I am able to send airdrop to their iPhones when not listed as contacts (everyone), but the contacts only with their names will not send. I’ve tried multiple methods of repair and none are working. I am reaching out to apple today to replicate the issue. I’ll keep you posted on what they say. Also, I am running the latest iOS 15.0.1

Oct 4, 2021 4:40 PM in response to Jmascar21

Mine is working now somehow. I did upgrade to 15.0.1 on my iPhone 13 Pro Max so I don't know if that did it. My wife is still on iOS14 however. I honestly don't know what made it now work, other than updating to 15.0.1. Maybe it was a bug with 15.0 that they patched it, but it sounds like you are still experiencing this problem which is annoying.

By the way, in answer to karina184's previous suggestion, I clearly stated in my original post that I had restarted both phones to no avail.

Oct 21, 2021 3:51 PM in response to Jmascar21

I don’t know what has happened, but today my wife and I were able to AirDrop between our new iPhone 13 Pro’s, with “contacts only” set in Settings>General>AirDrop.

We have made no changes on our phones since I reported our problem. (We already had installed 15.0.1 earlier.)

However, we both had problems receiving phone calls on Oct 13. (Calls went directly to ATT voice mail.) But this problem self-resolved later that day after a couple of reboots.

In all my years of using various models of iPhones, I have never had such a perplexing experience with a new one.

Airdrop not working for own contacts on iPhone 13 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.