Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Burn DVD from iMAC

Hello

I copied a wedding video from a SONY HD camcorder to my iMAC with macOS Big Sur version 11.6. I just want to burn some DVD's to be played in Blue Ray players or regular DVD players. I am not looking to edit the wedding video just copy on DVD's. My first attempt to burn a DVD copied but tells me the DVD is not compatible on my blue ray or DVD player when I try and play it. Is there special software required to be installed on a MAC to support this? Can someone provide instructions on the steps required. Thank you

iMac Pro

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 12:44 PM

thanks for your input. :) everything you said is true. when i first tried burning DVDs using the tools built-in with macOS, they ended up being discs that could only be viewed when inserting them into a mac. to make them a format that your average DVD player can read requires other software. "Burn" does that. and it's free.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2021 12:44 PM in response to woodmeister50

thanks for your input. :) everything you said is true. when i first tried burning DVDs using the tools built-in with macOS, they ended up being discs that could only be viewed when inserting them into a mac. to make them a format that your average DVD player can read requires other software. "Burn" does that. and it's free.

Sep 27, 2021 5:53 PM in response to apicelj

Apple has never supported blu ray because Sony owns it and has not licensed it to Apple.

I've always used Roxio Toast which includes a blu ray plugin. In order to be able to burn a DVD which will play on any player, you need software that will properly encode the movie to play it elsewhere. There is Burn (free) which is a basic app; Roxio Toast costs money but has many features. It will also copy content from one CD or DVD to another and other features.

Burn DVD from iMAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.