Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best cover for the iPadPro 2021 12.9" ?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 11:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 3:32 AM

The “best” cover is subjective - as “best” will be determined by your needs. What is best for one User, may not be the best for another.

Are you looking for maximum protection, or the ultimate in lightweight design? Are you looking for a durable, hard-wearing, cover - or perhaps a high-end leather cover? Does the cover need to accommodate or incorporate a keyboard? These and other factors may inform your own view as to what may be best for you.

Speaking purely of my own interpretation, for an expensive iPad such as the 2021 iPad Pro, I would suggest that physical protection may be a high priority. The 12.9” iPad is the largest of the iPad range - and is perhaps the most vulnerable to screen or chassis damage. As such, a case that provides a high degree of mechanical support (e.g., a rigid polycarbonate back) and edge protection (e.g., TPU edges) plus a protective screen cover might be necessary. Specifications to consider and look for, if physical and drop protection are important, might be MIL-Spec drop protection.

Whilst there are many third-party products from which to choose, one of the most respected is Otterbox - carried by Apple both in Apple Stores and online:

• OtterBox Symmetry Series 360 Elite Case for iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HPLU2ZM/A

Zagg and STM are also well respected manufacturers of rugged protective cases - although STM are yet to release a fitted case for the 2021 iPad Pro.

If you need a keyboard, Logitech have an option - although physical protection is perhaps compromised in favour of inclusion of a folio keyboard:

• Logitech Combo Touch Keyboard Case with Trackpad for iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HPLX2B/A

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2021 3:32 AM in response to RAMSLOT

The “best” cover is subjective - as “best” will be determined by your needs. What is best for one User, may not be the best for another.

Are you looking for maximum protection, or the ultimate in lightweight design? Are you looking for a durable, hard-wearing, cover - or perhaps a high-end leather cover? Does the cover need to accommodate or incorporate a keyboard? These and other factors may inform your own view as to what may be best for you.

Speaking purely of my own interpretation, for an expensive iPad such as the 2021 iPad Pro, I would suggest that physical protection may be a high priority. The 12.9” iPad is the largest of the iPad range - and is perhaps the most vulnerable to screen or chassis damage. As such, a case that provides a high degree of mechanical support (e.g., a rigid polycarbonate back) and edge protection (e.g., TPU edges) plus a protective screen cover might be necessary. Specifications to consider and look for, if physical and drop protection are important, might be MIL-Spec drop protection.

Whilst there are many third-party products from which to choose, one of the most respected is Otterbox - carried by Apple both in Apple Stores and online:

• OtterBox Symmetry Series 360 Elite Case for iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HPLU2ZM/A

Zagg and STM are also well respected manufacturers of rugged protective cases - although STM are yet to release a fitted case for the 2021 iPad Pro.

If you need a keyboard, Logitech have an option - although physical protection is perhaps compromised in favour of inclusion of a folio keyboard:

• Logitech Combo Touch Keyboard Case with Trackpad for iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HPLX2B/A

Oct 4, 2021 10:55 PM in response to RAMSLOT

If all the outer buttons stuck out more, you run the risk of busting them off somehow.

The buttons push down easily enough.

The idea is when the case is closed it is not supposed to be easy to accidentally open or get bumped open.

Zugu cases have gone through different, slight design changes over the years, but certain things have stayed the same.

The cover kinda locking into the edges of the case helps to keep the cover shut and the screen protected when not in use.

I agree, makes it a little; harder to lift the cover, but the cover holds well, and protects my iPad and its screen.

So, I feel that was a minor trade-off.

Has a lot of proetective padding and heat venting holes to help disapate heat away from the iPad.

Oct 5, 2021 3:19 AM in response to RAMSLOT

RAMSLOT wrote:

Tried the Zugucase. Not that great. Should be made easier to open.

It might have the best protection, and at the expense of weight and bulk and higher price.

Whilst there are many third-party accessory and case manufacturers, perhaps consider those that are marketed by Apple - as these have been selected and tested.

Taking the Otterbox Symmetry 360 Elite case for the iPad Pro as an example available from Apple, whilst not offering the most extreme physical protection - this case offers relatively lightweight and good physical protection. It has a rigid polycarbonate back and TPU surround. The case buttons, perhaps crucially for you, are very positive in function and work flawlessly.

If you do want the ultimate case for physical protection, although not marketed by Apple, Otterbox offer their Defender Series…

Oct 5, 2021 9:38 AM in response to RAMSLOT

I have been recommending these cases for many years here.

Like I stated, this case was not for you.

No problem. Return it and find something that works for YOU.

Zugucases used to have taller, external control buttons ( I have one of the older versions that did ) but users complained of them sometimes either getting too loose/wiggly from constant use OR the taller buttons, sometimes, got accidentally broken off from the case from a drop or severe accidental bump into something.

My wife own a version that has the lower buttons and hasn't complained about them.

Return the case, get your money back and find something that will work for you.

Thousands of case makers for iPads.

This one is not working for you.

Good Luck!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.