Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I have decent audio quality while using the microphone ?

This is 2021 and I still can have a decent conversation using visio apps (google/skype/meetup/...)

When the microphone is plugged in, blueooth audio switches to "crappy mode" and there is static sound, noise cancellation is off, and quality drops to 1999.

Is there a way to have my m1 mac to use a decent codec while using the microphone ?

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 7:50 AM

Thanks Karina for taking the time to answer this. This is really appreciated.

However the solution provided here is really useless : Turning off the microphone when trying to log into a skype call is not really an option.

When using the microphone, the bluetooth codec switches from AptX to SCO.

That turns off noise cancelling on my headset (sony WH-100X-M3). It actually turns on "ambiant sound mode taht amplify ambient sound...) - don't really know why.

I tried other headset (bose, parrot, logitech) with the same issue.

When using the bluetooth microphone, it brings back memory of bad landline quality sound from pre internet era.

This is definitely a macOS problem that's been present for ages. Windows / linux distribs and Andoid or iPhone devices don't have this issue.

Pre catalina, you could force the audio codec to AptX (or others) even when using the microphone but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore.

The bluetooth Explorer utility has been removed from xcode tools and only a really old version can run on my mac (m1). It lets me see which codec is in use (by going to Tools/Audio graph) but no way of changing that codec anymore.

The official apple solution of not using the bluetooth mic makes me really angry the way a solution to a broken lamp bulb would be to learn to live in dark would.

Come on apple, get your act together.

Thanks anyway for trying to provide some help.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2021 7:50 AM in response to karina184

Thanks Karina for taking the time to answer this. This is really appreciated.

However the solution provided here is really useless : Turning off the microphone when trying to log into a skype call is not really an option.

When using the microphone, the bluetooth codec switches from AptX to SCO.

That turns off noise cancelling on my headset (sony WH-100X-M3). It actually turns on "ambiant sound mode taht amplify ambient sound...) - don't really know why.

I tried other headset (bose, parrot, logitech) with the same issue.

When using the bluetooth microphone, it brings back memory of bad landline quality sound from pre internet era.

This is definitely a macOS problem that's been present for ages. Windows / linux distribs and Andoid or iPhone devices don't have this issue.

Pre catalina, you could force the audio codec to AptX (or others) even when using the microphone but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore.

The bluetooth Explorer utility has been removed from xcode tools and only a really old version can run on my mac (m1). It lets me see which codec is in use (by going to Tools/Audio graph) but no way of changing that codec anymore.

The official apple solution of not using the bluetooth mic makes me really angry the way a solution to a broken lamp bulb would be to learn to live in dark would.

Come on apple, get your act together.

Thanks anyway for trying to provide some help.

Sep 29, 2021 6:23 AM in response to karlvador59

Hi karlvador59,

Thanks for reaching out about using your microphone on your Mac. We can help with this. We see you came from this article: If sound quality is reduced when using Bluetooth headphones with your Mac.

If you've followed the steps in this article and the quality of Bluetooth sound is still not as high quality as you would like, it's possible this is as high as it will become while using a connected mic and Bluetooth at the same time.

If you still feel like it should be better, try testing it with a different Mac or while in a test user.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Take care.

How can I have decent audio quality while using the microphone ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.