Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New AirPort Extreme/Time Machine back up

How do I set up my new AirPort Extreme for backing up? Instructions say to do this via Airport Utility, but I'm not sure once I'm in there where to go from there.

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 11:40 AM

Model: AirPort Extreme 802.11ac ("renewed")

I thought I was getting both router and time capsule in one, as was my previous airport device. Oops. Time capsules are $300 on Amazon, so I will opt for an external hard drive for back ups. Thanks for your guidance.

2 replies

Sep 28, 2021 6:42 AM in response to Jrpm123

Apple discontinued the AirPort Extreme more than 3 years ago, so while it is possible that you might have a "new" AirPort Extreme, it is also unlikely that this is the case. That might be another discussion.

The AirPort Extreme is a WiFi router only.......it has no built in hard drive, so you won't be able to back up to the AirPort Extreme.......unless.....you connect a USB hard drive to the USB port on the AirPort Extreme.

Apple did offer a product called a Time Capsule, which was a WiFi router with a built in hard drive that could be used to back up Mac's using Time Machine.

So, the first logical order of business here is to find out whether you have an AirPort Extreme or your have a Time Capsule.

Open AirPort Utility (Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)

Hold down the option key on your Mac while you double-click on the picture of the "AirPort Extreme"

Look for the Model of the product in the next window that appears

It will be either AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule

Report on your results

New AirPort Extreme/Time Machine back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.