Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe Reader not functioning on new computer for pdf documents

Does this mean that I cannot use Adobe Reader on this computer? I'm not sure I want this computer if that isn't an option.

iMac 24″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 8:11 AM

6 replies

Oct 2, 2021 6:25 AM in response to candacesorensen

So, what do you mean by “Adobe Reader not functioning”? As has been pointed out the current version of Reader works with Big Sur. Have you updated both Big Sur and Adobe Reader to the latest versions?

And when I tried to convert a PDF to Word using Adobe Reader I was forwarded to Adobe’s website and told I had to upgrade to Acrobat Pro to convert. Is that what you are experiencing. If so then it would appear Adobe is now charging for the conversion.

There is an online PDF converter that I have used with success. https://online2pdf.com but I don’t know about security or privacy.

Finally, Word can directly open PDF files which you can then save as a Word document. Have you tried that?

Oct 2, 2021 6:24 AM in response to candacesorensen

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC will convert PDF to Word, and so will MS Word 16.31 or later. Adobe's Acrobat Reader DC has no inherent capability to convert PDF to Word documents itself, but if you have a paid subscription with Adobe, then Acrobat Reader DC will allow you to upload that PDF to Adobe, where the actual PDF to Word conversion takes place.

I am using the current Adobe Acrobat Reader DC on macOS 11.6 and it works fine. I do not feed PDF to Adobe for conversion to Word though.

Adobe Reader not functioning on new computer for pdf documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.