Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

late 2012 HDD 2.5 I change it to SSD. Is HGST the type as I want a case for the HDD as a Time Machine drive

late 2012 HDD 2.5 I change it to SSD. Is HGST the type as I want a case for the HDD as an extra Time Machine drive

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 10:17 AM

HGST - is brand name (Hitachi Global ......) and it really does not matter what HDD (2.5") you use.

More likely, that HGST would be the one you removed from Mac Mini.

Given the age of that 2012 MacMini's HDD -- I will be cautious to use that drive as Time Machine drive.

Most of the 2.5" --> USB 3.0 case would work. However, due to many choices and selections available for the HDD enclosure, I would to get it from OWC - they have good warranty, juts in case any issue might arise.

Additional note - all the drive will fail -- does not matter 2.5" or 3.5" HDD for Time Machine. It will be wise to back up frequently and have multiple backups (multiple TimeMachines).

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2021 10:17 AM in response to Clivesupport

HGST - is brand name (Hitachi Global ......) and it really does not matter what HDD (2.5") you use.

More likely, that HGST would be the one you removed from Mac Mini.

Given the age of that 2012 MacMini's HDD -- I will be cautious to use that drive as Time Machine drive.

Most of the 2.5" --> USB 3.0 case would work. However, due to many choices and selections available for the HDD enclosure, I would to get it from OWC - they have good warranty, juts in case any issue might arise.

Additional note - all the drive will fail -- does not matter 2.5" or 3.5" HDD for Time Machine. It will be wise to back up frequently and have multiple backups (multiple TimeMachines).

Sep 28, 2021 10:46 AM in response to Clivesupport

+1 adding to what samtenor has shared.

The old Mac Mini's internal drive has a lot of miles on it and may not be all that reliable.

Personally I would put it into a 2.5" external USB 3.0 enclosure and keep it around for redundant Clone backups using CarbonCopyCloner. https://bombich.com

Then I would encourage you to get a more reliable external drive to use for Time Machine.

for some examples, see > https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/external-storage#drive-configuration:single-bay

late 2012 HDD 2.5 I change it to SSD. Is HGST the type as I want a case for the HDD as a Time Machine drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.