Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will reinstalling macOS wipe all other data out that is stored on the Mac?

My iMac said needed to update last week. I gave it the go ahead and when restarting, it stuck on the Apple progress page and cannot get past it. I tried starting holding down Shift for safe mode and that won’t work. I tried Command R and did first aid on all disks, volumes, etc in order it tells you to.

it still won’t get past the apple progress bar screen. What else can I try?

and if I need to reinstall MacOS via Command R, will it lose all data stored on my Mac?

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 9:18 AM

No. Reinstalling macOS does not have to wipe all other data that you have stored. It is often recommended to reinstall macOS on top of the current installation. It is done from the Recovery partition using the same Command-R reboot.

Usual Guidance - Always ensure that you have backed up your computer before you attempt these type of macOS corrections.

To non-destructively reinstall macOS as a troubleshooting measure - without deleting user files, documents, pics and vids, etc. – boot your Mac in Recovery mode by restarting and when you hear the startup chime press the Command-R (⌘R) keys until you see the Apple logo and progress bar. Use a wired USB keyboard for this.

• When you are presented with the macOS Utilities window, select Disk Utility and run First Aid on your startup disk to ensure there are no problems with the drive and volumes. If DU reports things are all good, quit DU and return to the macOS Utilities window. DO NOT erase, partition, format, delete or otherwise alter your startup disk.

How to repair a Mac Disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

• Select "Reinstall macOS..." and follow the prompts. MacOS will reinstall a fresh copy on top of the existing installation. When the task is complete the computer will reboot and you can continue to use your Mac as before.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

NOTE– You should not have to erase, delete, format, partition or otherwise alter your startup disk for this. If that becomes an option, quit the process and restart your Mac. Then come back here for additional guidance.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2021 9:18 AM in response to Tdixon_ft

No. Reinstalling macOS does not have to wipe all other data that you have stored. It is often recommended to reinstall macOS on top of the current installation. It is done from the Recovery partition using the same Command-R reboot.

Usual Guidance - Always ensure that you have backed up your computer before you attempt these type of macOS corrections.

To non-destructively reinstall macOS as a troubleshooting measure - without deleting user files, documents, pics and vids, etc. – boot your Mac in Recovery mode by restarting and when you hear the startup chime press the Command-R (⌘R) keys until you see the Apple logo and progress bar. Use a wired USB keyboard for this.

• When you are presented with the macOS Utilities window, select Disk Utility and run First Aid on your startup disk to ensure there are no problems with the drive and volumes. If DU reports things are all good, quit DU and return to the macOS Utilities window. DO NOT erase, partition, format, delete or otherwise alter your startup disk.

How to repair a Mac Disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

• Select "Reinstall macOS..." and follow the prompts. MacOS will reinstall a fresh copy on top of the existing installation. When the task is complete the computer will reboot and you can continue to use your Mac as before.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

NOTE– You should not have to erase, delete, format, partition or otherwise alter your startup disk for this. If that becomes an option, quit the process and restart your Mac. Then come back here for additional guidance.

Oct 1, 2021 2:18 PM in response to Tdixon_ft

I didn’t back up my Mac and accidentally press on update and it did reset , then I became stock to reset thing because it’s says to me it was error and something then I shut it down , and open it with ( option key + command key + R ) and I pressed reinstall . The question is does it delete my whole data and everything in my Mac ?

Will reinstalling macOS wipe all other data out that is stored on the Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.