Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does keynote 11.2 require a file format update?

Hello,

One of my Macs is too old for the keynote 11.2 update. I am hesitant to install it on my other Macs as I fear that the 11.2 update is significant enough to require files to be "updated" to the new version. In which case these files won't be compatible with my old Macs.

Can anyone confirm if keynote 11.2 presentations are still compatible with previous keynote versions?

Thanks.

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 11:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 4:54 AM

I'v just tested making a new Keynote file using Keynote version 11.2 on Big Sur, it opens correctly in Keynote version 9.1 running High Sierra, so there is backwards compatibility to that combination.

From version 9.1, Keynote will open all previous version Keynote files.

2 replies

Oct 10, 2021 1:32 PM in response to jeanlain1

If you have more than one computer and one is too old to update to latest versions, DO NOT UPDATE anything if you want to keep using the older computer. Tried to update existing iWork files on older computer with software version that created them and get messages that must update iWork software, but older computer can't be updated.

After hour go around with Apple Support it seems the problem is that I use iCloud to sync between my computers and iPads, which is supposed to be one of the advantages of Apple and I unknowingly updated software on a newer computer and even though I never touched these files with the newer computer I now cannot edit them on the older computer. What a bummer.

The reason for two computers of course is there are two people working and we weren't ready to upgrade hardware on both. The only alternative offered was to work directly with the web version.

Does keynote 11.2 require a file format update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.