Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air M1 2020 DVD Player won't play DVDs

I'm trying to play a DVD using an external drive on my MacBook Air. When I insert a DVD, the DVD Player app loads, but the disc won't play. The same DVDs play just fine on my older Air and Pro, and this Air will play audio CDs with the same external drive just fine. I tried two different external drives. Same problem. Ideas?

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 2:07 PM

So we ran into this ourselves. We haven't found any fixes yet. That is until today. We upgraded another Mac to Monterey today. All this machines can play the DVD like it used to. The old MacBook Air with M1 chip that had BigSur still does not work.

Hope the helps

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 14, 2021 10:06 AM in response to crlFMSD

I have been assisting someone who has the same problem. MacBook Air M1 2020 was playing DVDs on her Apple DVD External Hard Drive and it suddenly stopped working. This might have been after a recent OS update. She can currently play CDs but not DVDs. It recognizes the title but nothing more. She has tried to play it using both Apple’s DVD Player software and VLC with no success. Both drive and the disks work on other computers.

Apple has seen the computer: they have reinstalled the OS three times and most recently also replaced the system board, all to no avail. I suspect that this problem is related to OS update, but cannot be sure.

MacBook Air M1 2020 DVD Player won't play DVDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.