Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Spacing on Ipad Pro ios 15

I have the Ipad Pro 11 with ios 15.0 on it. How do I change the spacing between the app icons without grouping them all together? I used to have all my icons and widgets on the home page and now with the update they are all spread out and I cannot fit my widgets on the same page.

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 8:16 AM

iPadOS14 and iPadOS15 differ in a number of aspects - the implementation of Widgets in the Today view of the first Home Screen differing considerably between the two major versions.

Whilst you are now able to freely position widgets on any of the Home Screens, you have lost the “compact” first Home Screen layout (that previously provided a compressed 5x6 grid of App/Folder icons simultaneously with the Today view. 

Now, without the previous compressed view, individual Widgets can be freely placed on any of the Home Screens. Where used, Widgets individually occupy elements of a 4x6 icon grid - with configurable widgets occupying 1x1. 1x2 and 2x2 elements of the grid, displacing App/Folder icons as necessary.

The net effect of adding Widgets to the Home Screen(s) results in reduced efficiency in using available screen space of the Home Screens. You cannot restore the previous compact view with the Today view. You can however, also place Widgets in a Slide Over view that can be summoned from the first Home Screen - however, the Today view cannot now be persistently docked with the first Home Page.

Apple do invite constructive feedback, comments and feature requests via their product feedback pages. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

You are encouraged to make use of this facility in expressing any views concerning issues, bugs, or functionality changes of which you are unhappy.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2021 8:16 AM in response to tcdaboss

iPadOS14 and iPadOS15 differ in a number of aspects - the implementation of Widgets in the Today view of the first Home Screen differing considerably between the two major versions.

Whilst you are now able to freely position widgets on any of the Home Screens, you have lost the “compact” first Home Screen layout (that previously provided a compressed 5x6 grid of App/Folder icons simultaneously with the Today view. 

Now, without the previous compressed view, individual Widgets can be freely placed on any of the Home Screens. Where used, Widgets individually occupy elements of a 4x6 icon grid - with configurable widgets occupying 1x1. 1x2 and 2x2 elements of the grid, displacing App/Folder icons as necessary.

The net effect of adding Widgets to the Home Screen(s) results in reduced efficiency in using available screen space of the Home Screens. You cannot restore the previous compact view with the Today view. You can however, also place Widgets in a Slide Over view that can be summoned from the first Home Screen - however, the Today view cannot now be persistently docked with the first Home Page.

Apple do invite constructive feedback, comments and feature requests via their product feedback pages. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

You are encouraged to make use of this facility in expressing any views concerning issues, bugs, or functionality changes of which you are unhappy.

Oct 2, 2021 8:13 AM in response to tcdaboss

Hi tcdaboss,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you're trying to change the spacing between your apps and you were able to review one of the support articles. Are you able to provide an example of what you mean?

You can't change the spacing between apps, but you can check to see if you have zoomed view enabled. Go to Settings > Display & Brightness > View. If it's selected to Zoomed, change it to standard and see if this works.

Regards.

Oct 20, 2021 3:47 PM in response to McFeast

McFeast wrote:

So you thought you had a great idea, and to implement that, you had to remove a different function ?
very curious why we can’t have both. I personally want the compact app spacing a lot more. Had I known this issue I would not have upgraded.

I feel your frustration - but there’s no point moaning about to me. It’s not my “great idea” at all.

I, like other contributors here, am an end-user customer - just like you. We differ, however, in that I and others try to share information and guidance in trying to resolve technical problems - or, as in this case, explain what can be done to communicate issues to those that potentially have the ability to make change.

App Spacing on Ipad Pro ios 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.