Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does a contact name display on my recent calls when that name is not in my contact list?

How does a contact name display on my recent calls list when that name is not listed in my Contacts on the phone?

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 8:15 AM

If a contact name shows up with an incoming call and that name is not in your contact list, then it is being provided by your carrier’s caller ID system. For example, I use T-Mobile as a carrier in the US. T-Mobile has a feature called incoming Caller ID which I have activated. This identifies the callers name and displays it, if it is a verified caller in T-Mobile’s database. Verizon and AT&T have similar feature as well. Contact your carrier for more information.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2021 8:15 AM in response to Minorca1768

If a contact name shows up with an incoming call and that name is not in your contact list, then it is being provided by your carrier’s caller ID system. For example, I use T-Mobile as a carrier in the US. T-Mobile has a feature called incoming Caller ID which I have activated. This identifies the callers name and displays it, if it is a verified caller in T-Mobile’s database. Verizon and AT&T have similar feature as well. Contact your carrier for more information.

Axel F.

How does a contact name display on my recent calls when that name is not in my contact list?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.