Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are the iMovie projects on iCloud backups?

Hi, I used a backup from iCloud (I backup all what is possibile) for a new temporary iphone (with less space) and after some days I transferred all back to my old (repaired) iphone putting the two devices near. I lost all my imovie projects, I mean those which appears when you open iMovie. Where were they stored? In the Photo app? (I had to delete videos because no enough space). Or in a iMovie folder somewhere? I have done many backups and I hope to find and restore them. But should I do that from iCloud on the Mac? I can’t find on iPhone an option to restore only some things, only a way to restore all the iPhone and I don’t want to do that!

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 5:03 PM

Unfortunately the only 2 backups that I found (using the initialised temporary iPhone 11) were too recent (made after the update to ios 15.0). No videos in iMovie. I’m not happy because I have (pay) 200 GB of space on iCloud and only 70 were used, so plenty of space for other backups.

I could find my old iPhone 7+ that I never initialised and opening iMovie I could find some of the older videos (not the recent ones) and restore them. Yesterday I received my new iPhone 13 Pro and I will transfer all the data and files to it (from the iPhone XS Max).

The question is closed. Thanks.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2021 5:03 PM in response to Miche11e_P

Unfortunately the only 2 backups that I found (using the initialised temporary iPhone 11) were too recent (made after the update to ios 15.0). No videos in iMovie. I’m not happy because I have (pay) 200 GB of space on iCloud and only 70 were used, so plenty of space for other backups.

I could find my old iPhone 7+ that I never initialised and opening iMovie I could find some of the older videos (not the recent ones) and restore them. Yesterday I received my new iPhone 13 Pro and I will transfer all the data and files to it (from the iPhone XS Max).

The question is closed. Thanks.

Oct 5, 2021 6:36 AM in response to Patrizia Franchini

Thanks for letting us know, Patrizia,

Were you able to locate the backup that includes your iMovie data? If not, this article will guide you: Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

You should be able to install the backup from iOS 14 if you have iOS 15 installed. If you see any alerts when you do restore that backup, you can follow the steps outlined here: If you can't back up your iOS or iPadOS device to a computer or restore it from a backup

We hope this helps.

Take care!

Oct 2, 2021 2:44 PM in response to Miche11e_P

Yes, all was enabled (I have 200 GB on iCloud) but unfortunately my temporary iPhone 11 (borrowed) was only 64 GB (mine is 256 GB) and after I used the backup for the temporary iPhone, I tried to open iMovie and was said it wasn’t possible because there wasn’t enough space (63.7GB of 64 GB occupied). I was also forced to update the ios to 15.0. Then my iPhone XS Max was repaired and I decided to use the transfer data instead of the backup (my last backup which certainly contained all the iMovie data was done with ios 14.x).

Now I could try to use this last backup for the repaired iPhone XS Max, but I should before initialise it and then search for available backups. But I don’t think that I can find backups made with ios 14.x! Only those done with ios 15, I’m right?

Where are the iMovie projects on iCloud backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.