Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your connection is not private"

When clicking on some URLs of web sites I've been using for ages, this past week Chrome keeps telling me "Your connection is not private" (See attachment). I'm using a MacBook, Os 10.11.6. Some of the sites this happens on have always worked with no problem, and some are well known sites in my part of the world. Is this to do with some annoying new 'feature' that they've added in Chrome? And before you start on about Safari, it does the same anyway, but I prefer Chrome as a browser. Who do they think they are to tell me I can't visit a perfectly reliable site? There's no way I can get over this, having searched the settings in Chrome, and it's really annoying me.

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 10:59 PM

For mac's running older versions (pre 11), a specific root certificate expired on September 30, 2021. I've searched board after board and here was the only thing that fixed it:

Thanks to Qchrontech on LetsEncript board:

https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/connection-errors-on-apple-devices/161107/27

I can Confirm a fix that worked on both a 10.9.5 & 10.11.6 Mac OS users. Simply set the DST Root CA X3 to "Always Trust" on several Mac's I manage in an office and home's this fix work for 4 websites that previously had issues with this CERT ERR.

Directions for fix:

1. Open ~/Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app
  2. From View menu select "Show Expired Certificates"
  3. On the Left Sidebar pick System Root
  4. In search bar top-right type DST
  5. Double-click "DST Root CA X3"
  6. In pop-up, turn down "Trust" arrow and set "When using this certificate" to "Always Trust"
  7. Close the pop-up and put in an Administrator user/password info.
  8. Close all open Browsers & Keychain you should be good to go after that.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2021 10:59 PM in response to YvonneMaria

For mac's running older versions (pre 11), a specific root certificate expired on September 30, 2021. I've searched board after board and here was the only thing that fixed it:

Thanks to Qchrontech on LetsEncript board:

https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/connection-errors-on-apple-devices/161107/27

I can Confirm a fix that worked on both a 10.9.5 & 10.11.6 Mac OS users. Simply set the DST Root CA X3 to "Always Trust" on several Mac's I manage in an office and home's this fix work for 4 websites that previously had issues with this CERT ERR.

Directions for fix:

1. Open ~/Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app
  2. From View menu select "Show Expired Certificates"
  3. On the Left Sidebar pick System Root
  4. In search bar top-right type DST
  5. Double-click "DST Root CA X3"
  6. In pop-up, turn down "Trust" arrow and set "When using this certificate" to "Always Trust"
  7. Close the pop-up and put in an Administrator user/password info.
  8. Close all open Browsers & Keychain you should be good to go after that.

Oct 2, 2021 3:43 AM in response to YvonneMaria

Thank you for clarifying the version of macOS being run on the computer El Capitan.

User wrote " I really do tire of this relentless push to update " well, as Technology Changes and Certificates Expire - one may move forwards or get left behind, as Bob Dylan has been quoted " The Times that are a changing "

There are options to get around this. That is by upGrading - installing a newer version of macOS. All this without having to " fork a cool grand or more to replace our laptops "

Below is a possible solution - from one retiree to another -

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install.  For Best results use Safari to commence the download as Others may not work.

Make a  Time Machine Backup  it very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS Before attempting.

Notation - Mojave is the Last version to support 32 bit applications / extensions and Drivers. Catalina & Big Sur supports only 64 bit and there is no workaround.

Suggest using Go64 to find 32 bit application before attempting the upGrade. Some or many of the Application already installed may required update or upGrades to 64 Bit Versions.

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation

Oct 1, 2021 11:13 PM in response to etresoft

Thanks etresoft for taking the time to respond. Regrettably, this is not a complete answer. I developed this problem with Safari some months ago so moved to Chrome and the problem went away. Yesterday it appeared with Chrome and Firefox and Safari on a safe local company's web page and many others. The page opens fine on the company management computers and also my iPhone, iPad and a Surface Pro. In addition many other sites do not load properly now, I get boxes with question marks and functions won't work. I could not log onto watch a MotoGP video on my Macbook, but both my phone and original iPad Pro loged on fine using keychain.

Everything worked ok two days ago and not yesterday or today. So something changed over night. It is a bit glib to simply say that I need a new laptop cos mine is old. Possibly I do at some point soon. First, without a root cause for the problem I will not be buying another Mac. Secondly, my Macbook Pro did not suddenly age over night. Something has changed somewhere.

The proximate cause on the site I followed up was an expired root on the SSL certificate. See below:

My problem is that the site works fine on three other devices I own and on the CEO and IT Dept computers. Also these sites all worked last week. So something changed over night. The question which YvonneMarie and I have is what changed and how do I change it back?

This is not a new issue. I have read solutions lists in google search results and tried them all including deleting and reinstalling Chrome. A pain as stored details are lost. All to no avail. This is an long standing Apple problem. Help please Apple. Help or I am a casualty to your brand.

Oct 2, 2021 5:58 PM in response to etresoft

etresoft Brilliant, thanks. At last a root cause. Thanks also P. Phillips . I have some spare time this coming week and will look to update to a newer version of OS. I tried Catalina many months ago and had major issues. Possibly jumping multiple versions in one go. Possibly the 64 bit issue. Then OS roll back also failed and I had to pay a wad of cash to a support firm to rebuild my laptop. Being gun shy, I went back to what worked, El Capitan. My observation from others is that Catalina does not work well with old machines so possibly better to go to Sierra or Majove? This time I will roll forward one at a time and get to a supported system.

I see what you mean P Phillips by 32 bit. MS 365 will not load onto my Macbook presently, I am stuck with the older version of Office Apps.

And thanks for the advice etresoft I will get a new machine. I would really like an Apple with a touch screen and full OS. iOS does not cut it for a serious work from home desktop setup. I work paperless so write-on-screen is essential for meetings and meeting preparation. The iPad certainly has the best write-on-screen experience, but as I said iOS simply does not cut it, so Apple means two devices! Maybe, gulp, the new MS Surface Pro 8 is the answer......

Help Apple. The M1 chip is in the iPad, add OS!!!

"Your connection is not private"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.