Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

add contact on macbook pro

i cannot add new contact on macbook Big Sur 11.6

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 7:51 AM

This has been a problem with Big Sur since at least early 2021. It seems to happen when your contact list is connected with a Google account, rather than your contact list on your computer.

It looks kinda like this: You hit the plus sign to add a new contact, start adding information and then it suddenly closes the entry.

If you scroll down to the bottom of your contact list you will see a contact (or multiple if you have tried several times to add a contact) labeled "No name."

The solutions are various. Add the contact on your iPhone, which will then sync to your computer. Add the contact in Google and it will sync to your computer. I simply scroll down and edit the "No name" entry. It will let you do that without problems.

I don't know why this is such a difficult problem for Apple to fix, unless it's simply a perverse little monkey-wrench that Google has thrown in there. But there it is. I still have to deal with fewer "work-arounds" using Apple than I do using a PC. Not planning on ditching my Mac for this one.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2021 7:51 AM in response to alnasirk

This has been a problem with Big Sur since at least early 2021. It seems to happen when your contact list is connected with a Google account, rather than your contact list on your computer.

It looks kinda like this: You hit the plus sign to add a new contact, start adding information and then it suddenly closes the entry.

If you scroll down to the bottom of your contact list you will see a contact (or multiple if you have tried several times to add a contact) labeled "No name."

The solutions are various. Add the contact on your iPhone, which will then sync to your computer. Add the contact in Google and it will sync to your computer. I simply scroll down and edit the "No name" entry. It will let you do that without problems.

I don't know why this is such a difficult problem for Apple to fix, unless it's simply a perverse little monkey-wrench that Google has thrown in there. But there it is. I still have to deal with fewer "work-arounds" using Apple than I do using a PC. Not planning on ditching my Mac for this one.

Oct 4, 2021 5:14 AM in response to alnasirk

Hello alnasirk,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you're unable to add a new contact on your MacBook. We'd like to help.

We see that you're coming to us from If an app on your Mac stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open.

Where are you trying to add the contact to the Contacts app? Is the app not responding? If so, have you followed all of the suggestions in that resource?

If you've tried all of the suggestions, try to start you Mac up in safe mode and then test to see if you can add a contact. Here's How to use safe mode on your Mac .

And here's how to Add people and companies to Contacts on Mac.

Have a nice day.

add contact on macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.