Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've followed all the above, but the Mac still requires a pasword. How can I get around this?

I don't need to password-protect the computer, but it won't start up without one. I'd really like to allow unattended startup.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 4:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 4:47 AM

@rustic39

If automatic login is unavailable you might need to follow this bit to get it to work

• If an account uses an iCloud password to log in, manual login is required for that account. You may also see the message “A user with an encrypted home folder can't log in automatically”. When changing the account password, you can choose not to use the iCloud password.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2021 4:47 AM in response to rustic39

@rustic39

If automatic login is unavailable you might need to follow this bit to get it to work

• If an account uses an iCloud password to log in, manual login is required for that account. You may also see the message “A user with an encrypted home folder can't log in automatically”. When changing the account password, you can choose not to use the iCloud password.

Oct 3, 2021 6:50 AM in response to rustic39

P. Phillips wrote:

If so, and what the Auto Log-In function - the Touch ID, IMHO with either not function or will be lost as a function on this machine.

My M1 MacBook Air has Touch ID and Auto Login works fine.

Would like to thank the author for point this out.

Thought, personally, would not be comfortable having the Keychain open and accessible to anyone having access to this computer and fiddling with the Keychain information.

If your Mac keeps asking for your keychain password

Your keychain may be locked automatically if your computer has been inactive for a period of time or your user password and keychain password are out of sync.You can set a length of time that Keychain Access waits before automatically requiring you to enter your password again.

1. In the Keychain Access app  on your Mac, click “login” in the Keychains list.
  2. Choose Edit > Change Settings for Keychain “login.”
  3. Select the “Lock after” checkbox, then enter a number of minutes.
  4. If you want to require a password each time the computer goes to sleep, select the “Lock when sleeping” checkbox.
  5. Click Save.

I've followed all the above, but the Mac still requires a pasword. How can I get around this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.