Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13 pro Max data transfer steals storage space

I recently upgraded from X to 13 pro max, transferred data from one phone to another expecting the data size of files to be the same. I was surprised to see that my photos from my X storage showed 19g and after being transferred to 13, the size was now 35g for the same number or images/video. That’s a huge increase. Anyone know why this would happen? My total storage on my X was 58g out of 256g being used. After attempting to transfer data via phone-to-phone and second attempt via iCloud, my iPhone 13 total data storage is 105g out of 256g. Maybe Apple needs to state that you will need to choose a larger storage drive when upgrading because your transferred data will multiple and eat up space.

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 3:25 PM

I did get transferred to a senior Apple Tech who said they would look into it and get back with me but never did receive a callback. After a couple of weeks and the new IOS 15.0.2, my storage space did drop down to total 49g used with 32g of photos. Whatever it was it has been adjusted after the latest software update to 15.0.2

Seems after a couple of weeks, the iPhone did remove IOS updates from storage to help increase space as well. At the time of my new phone, I had to migrate from 14.8 to 15.0.2 over the weeks.

I was like you, nervous about the lack of space initially but give it a couple of weeks after the updates and revisit your storage space.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2021 3:25 PM in response to jfiraben

I did get transferred to a senior Apple Tech who said they would look into it and get back with me but never did receive a callback. After a couple of weeks and the new IOS 15.0.2, my storage space did drop down to total 49g used with 32g of photos. Whatever it was it has been adjusted after the latest software update to 15.0.2

Seems after a couple of weeks, the iPhone did remove IOS updates from storage to help increase space as well. At the time of my new phone, I had to migrate from 14.8 to 15.0.2 over the weeks.

I was like you, nervous about the lack of space initially but give it a couple of weeks after the updates and revisit your storage space.

Oct 3, 2021 9:01 AM in response to Tweeekster

Is it possible that you had Optimize iPhone Storage set to ON on your old iPhone and not enabled on your new iPhone? If this is the case then that explains the storage capacity mismatch between the two iPhones.

On your iPhone 13 Pro Max, open Settings ➔ Photos ➔ Optimize iPhone Storage: Place a check mark next to this. If will take a while to get the storage space optimized on your iPhone. The way this works is that your original resolution photos are maintained on iCloud while low resolution icons remain on your iPhone. The high resolution photo actually displays on your iPhone once you tap on its low resolution icon/image on your iPhone. This saves space on your iPhone.

Axel F.

Oct 3, 2021 9:13 AM in response to Axel Foley

Thank you for your feedback. I had optimized iPhone storage set to ON on my old phone prior to transferring data to new phone using both methods (iCloud backup & phone-to-phone) with no change. Apple had me perform phone reset with no change or answer as to why this would be. My 13 is also set to optimized as well. Wish I had chosen the larger drive now that my storage usage doubled upgrading from X to 13 just by transferring.

Oct 19, 2021 1:11 PM in response to Tweeekster

I just want to say the exact same thing happened to me. I had a X pro max with a total (50gb) of storage no my 13 has 100. The 13 more doubled the phone storage. On phone with Apple support for more than an hour. Their non-solution solution is to return the phone if I am unsatisfied. They also said (even though I referenced these posts) that is was not a widespread issue. Grrrr.

Oct 25, 2021 8:33 PM in response to Tweeekster

Same thing happened to me and I think I have a solution. You need to turn off “Live Text” in Settings, then reset phone and do Quick Start ios transfer of original phone to new phone. After Quick Start ios transfer check Settings again to turn off “Live Text”. After confirming live text is set to be off, you may open photo app. This worked for my new iPhone 13. When I bought my new iPhone 13 it initially looked like all my photos transferred fine and data size was same as my old phone’s photos which was 5.6 GB. But after exploring my phone and looking at my photos and touching a photo in a way that activated the “Live Text” ability to highlight text in a photo, I soon noticed my phone’s photos now showed as 11.9 GB even though there were no new photos. This meant my photos data storage size doubled. The Live Text attribute was automatically applied to all photos without giving me any kind of warning that activating the live text feature would double the data storage for the Photos App. I have not discovered a way to undo Live Text data size change, however I did discover that doing a factory reset of my new phone and transfer my old phone data to the new phone again but this time making sure to turn off Live Text by going to Settings, click on General, click on Language & Region, and turn off “Live Text”, then open photos app and all my data sizes will stay the same as my old phone. Live Text works only on iPhones XS, XR, 11, 12, and 13 with iOS 15 installed. For people who have iPhones XS, XR, 11, and 12 i suggest immediately after doing the iOS 15 update to turn off “Live Text” in Settings prior to opening any photos unless youre okay with doubling the data size. If you already activated live text that doubled your data size and you want to “undo it”, try Restoring iPhone From Backup so all your old photos and settings are returned to normal, then do update and immediately turn off “Live Text” in Settings. Good luck and best wishes.

13 pro Max data transfer steals storage space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.