Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMS messages from iPhone users are going to Messages on my Mac instead of my Android phone. How do I stop this?

macOS 11.6

Messages 14.0

While I am a macOS user, I am an Android phone user.

For reasons I can't figure out, when iPhone users text me, their texts do not go to my default Android SMS app; they go to Messages on my Macbook. Clearly, I don't want this - I want all SMS messages to go to my Android phone. This has been quite problematic as I end up missing a lot of texts.

How do I stop texts from iPhone users from going to Messages on my Mac?

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 3:27 PM

I want all SMS messages to go to my Android phone.

All of your SMS text messages probably do only go to your Android phone since a Mac cannot receive SMS text messages.*

However, your friends with iPhones are likely not sending SMS text. When they send to you, they are sending an iMessage since you have a Mac and can be contacted at that Mac via iMessage.

You might try some of the options for how you receive iMessage in Messages Preferences on your Mac. You may have to disable iMessage completely on your Mac.

* You can forward SMS from an iPhone to a Mac, but a Mac on its own without an iPhone cannot receive SMS text.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2021 3:27 PM in response to khill2010

I want all SMS messages to go to my Android phone.

All of your SMS text messages probably do only go to your Android phone since a Mac cannot receive SMS text messages.*

However, your friends with iPhones are likely not sending SMS text. When they send to you, they are sending an iMessage since you have a Mac and can be contacted at that Mac via iMessage.

You might try some of the options for how you receive iMessage in Messages Preferences on your Mac. You may have to disable iMessage completely on your Mac.

* You can forward SMS from an iPhone to a Mac, but a Mac on its own without an iPhone cannot receive SMS text.

SMS messages from iPhone users are going to Messages on my Mac instead of my Android phone. How do I stop this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.