Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Background App Refresh is grayed out

Background App Refresh is grayed out in the on position and all the apps are grayed out as well, some on abs some off. I need to turn one of my apps on, but can’t. I just updated to the latest iOS version. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 4:02 PM

Hello Maricampanita,

It looks like you are unable to use Background App Refresh on your iPhone. We’d be glad to assist.

Do you have any Content & Privacy Restrictions enabled on your device? 

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If so, go to Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, enter your Screen Time password if prompted, and ensure Background App Activities is marked as 'Allow'.

We hope that helps!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2021 4:02 PM in response to Maricampanita

Hello Maricampanita,

It looks like you are unable to use Background App Refresh on your iPhone. We’d be glad to assist.

Do you have any Content & Privacy Restrictions enabled on your device? 

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If so, go to Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, enter your Screen Time password if prompted, and ensure Background App Activities is marked as 'Allow'.

We hope that helps!

Background App Refresh is grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.