Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after last update, Safari is very slow

After updating the system, latest Safari (version 15) is very slow and freezes all the time. How can I get back to previous one?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 12:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 12:31 AM

hi, try this go to settings menu then delete your cookies, by clear history and website data.

open safari browser. go to menu then history tab then clear history

i hope this will work for you i am using the same version but it is fresh installed not the update of previous version and it is working fine. Check the activity manager may be there is a third party program is causing problem in safari operations, remove that. as you can not uninstall it and then reinstall because its apple default browser so the second option is refresh the OS.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2021 12:31 AM in response to PopescuBuzeu

hi, try this go to settings menu then delete your cookies, by clear history and website data.

open safari browser. go to menu then history tab then clear history

i hope this will work for you i am using the same version but it is fresh installed not the update of previous version and it is working fine. Check the activity manager may be there is a third party program is causing problem in safari operations, remove that. as you can not uninstall it and then reinstall because its apple default browser so the second option is refresh the OS.

Oct 29, 2021 9:47 AM in response to PopescuBuzeu

I have the same issue, but have traced it to my SurfEasy VPN. So long as it is not running, Safari loads and renders websites just fine. Contacted their Helpdesk, and they (of course) referred me to here. I've performed the history clearing and cookie deleting, but no luck. And I'm doubtful reinstalling Safari will be of much good.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

macOS Monterey v12.0.1 (21A559)

Safari Version 15.1 (17612.2.9.1.20)

SurfEasy VPN v3.14.67

Nov 15, 2021 7:59 AM in response to mehvish-

I have tried to follow your guidance but I am confused I think. I was using Safari as I began this reply but typing was so slow I switched to a different browser and typing is no longer painful. With respect to the guidance you offer though, I am not sure to which settings menu you are referring that will allow one to delete cookies and clear history and website data? If I already have Safari open I note the option to clear my history at the bottom of the History drop down. I cleared "all history" via this method but I see no improvement in the snail's pace at which the letters typed appear on my screen. Could you please elaborate on whichever parts I have neglected to perform so that I might complete your suggested steps and hopefully return typing in Safari back to some sense of normalcy?

Dec 21, 2021 7:02 AM in response to PopescuBuzeu

Today, replaced my test old iPad with a new one, Safari 15.x on it I believe. I can cry so bad. Totally useless for anything more than the average joe youtube page viewing.

On the same device, Chrome outperforms Safari big time with the same content (3D/js) and allows me to work.

Same cancer on macOS. Shame really. Things started to go bad after release 14.x.

after last update, Safari is very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.