Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Rosetta 2 be installed on a Mac with an Intel processor with no negative affects? I'm using an application to install all our software on Macs that can't determine what processor is being used.

I realize this isn't the perfect solution but I need to install Rosetta 2 onto all of our Macs. Most of them are not using M1 chips at this time but the application I use to install software does not have the ability to determine what chip is running. If I do this is there going to be any negative affects on the Macs running Intel chips? Thanks.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 6:45 AM

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac

Rosetta 2 enables a Mac with Apple silicon M1 CPUs to use apps built for a Mac with an Intel processor.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT211861

5 replies

Oct 4, 2021 8:27 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks for the quick response! I'm going to be installing Rosetta 2 remotely running a package I made using the script /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install-rosetta --agree-to-license.

Our users are not Admins and can't install anything that requires an Admin name and password. After testing this command on a non-M1 Mac from Terminal, I only receive a list of commands for Managing Updates. It appears Rosetta 2 just doesn't install and that's what I needed to know.

Can Rosetta 2 be installed on a Mac with an Intel processor with no negative affects? I'm using an application to install all our software on Macs that can't determine what processor is being used.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.