Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watermarks in Pages

Hey guys. So I am in the process of having some test readers check out this book I have made. I'd say it's half illustrated, half text in a landscape/double column set up. While I do trust my test readers, I have put way too much work into this thing to not have a watermark or something to guard my work. Anyway, when going to insert my watermark, I inserted my image, I followed the instructions for "Arrange"->"Section Layout"->"Move object to Section Layout" however, the actual option for "Move object to section layout" is grayed out and I can't select it. To test I opened a blank document, put a few blank pages in there and tested it and it worked.

So my main question is why can't I do it on my multi-page illustrated document? Is it because I didn't do it first thing so now all my illustrations, text boxes, etc are interfering with me placing my watermark? Just looking for some possible solutions/answers.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 7:34 AM

Placing a watermark on a Pages document as a section master object behind the body text will not stop any bad actor from copy/pasting the body text from your Pages document into another document, when sharing the Pages document. It will not be a theft deterrent for those inclined to that purpose.

When you export a Pages document with that watermark to a PDF, once again, one can copy/paste the text from the PDF into another word processing document because Pages PDF export does not set the Not Allowed Content Copying permission on the PDF. You can block PDF copying by visiting the Pages Print panel, click the PDF button, and select Save as PDF.

On the panel that appears when you click Save as PDF, there is a Security Options… button that leads to this screen:

where you can set a password to open the PDF, but also a permissions password that blocks content manipulation and printing. When these permission passwords are set, no one can copy/paste your PDF content elsewhere, thus safeguarding

your content from the bad actors. When a PDF so permitted is viewed in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, the PDF properties now reflect:

and when I open the PDF in Apple's Preview and attempt to select, and copy the content to the clipboard, I get the following:

and similarly, any attempt to print, via menu, or keyboard shortcut is met by:

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2021 7:34 AM in response to Ammaximus

Placing a watermark on a Pages document as a section master object behind the body text will not stop any bad actor from copy/pasting the body text from your Pages document into another document, when sharing the Pages document. It will not be a theft deterrent for those inclined to that purpose.

When you export a Pages document with that watermark to a PDF, once again, one can copy/paste the text from the PDF into another word processing document because Pages PDF export does not set the Not Allowed Content Copying permission on the PDF. You can block PDF copying by visiting the Pages Print panel, click the PDF button, and select Save as PDF.

On the panel that appears when you click Save as PDF, there is a Security Options… button that leads to this screen:

where you can set a password to open the PDF, but also a permissions password that blocks content manipulation and printing. When these permission passwords are set, no one can copy/paste your PDF content elsewhere, thus safeguarding

your content from the bad actors. When a PDF so permitted is viewed in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, the PDF properties now reflect:

and when I open the PDF in Apple's Preview and attempt to select, and copy the content to the clipboard, I get the following:

and similarly, any attempt to print, via menu, or keyboard shortcut is met by:

Oct 5, 2021 7:44 AM in response to Ammaximus

I addressed how to secure your document content in the PDF document format in my preceding post.

I had no issue creating a section master (now called Section Layout in Pages v11.2) watermark, based on a rotated Text box, whose text wrap was set to None in the Arrange panel. I entered the word D R A F T set at 122 pt, and the Text box enlarged for the expanded text. I rotated the Text box 45 degrees, and from the style panel, set the opacity at 15 percent. With the Text box selected, I chose Arrange menu > Section Layouts > Move Object to Section Layout.

To perpetuate this Section Layout effect throughout your document, you visit the first page of each section, select the Document toolbar item, click its Section tab, and select Match previous section.

Looks like this:

Watermarks in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.