Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory reset Macbook Pro

My friend gave me her 2017 Mackbook pro and I want to factory reset so I can send to my friend up North. The problem is with the unit has been updated to Big Sur and when I get into the disk utility I have three choice to delete. One which says maxOS Base system is the OS system size is 1.79 GB.

The other two choices are Macintosh HD - Data which is 250.69 GB and the third is Macintosh HD 250.69 GB.

However, before I selected Disk Utility I got a window that said (from top to bottom,

1, Restore from Time Machine ( I don't have that)

2, Reinstall macOS Big Sur

3, safari

4, Disk Utility

I'm stuck. I'm not a Mac user and I don't want to wipe away Big Sur, just reset to factory settings so my friend can do what she wants with her information etc.

Thank you, Kent

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 8:36 AM

Goodole1 wrote:

My friend gave me her 2017 Mackbook pro and I want to factory reset so I can send to my friend up North. The problem is with the unit has been updated to Big Sur and when I get into the disk utility I have three choice to delete. One which says maxOS Base system is the OS system size is 1.79 GB.
The other two choices are Macintosh HD - Data which is 250.69 GB and the third is Macintosh HD 250.69 GB.
However, before I selected Disk Utility I got a window that said (from top to bottom,
3, safari
4, Disk Utility

I'm stuck. I'm not a Mac user and I don't want to wipe away Big Sur, just reset to factory settings so my friend can do what she wants with her information etc.

Thank you, Kent

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2021 8:36 AM in response to Goodole1

Goodole1 wrote:

3, safari
4, Disk Utility

Thank you, Kent

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Factory reset Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.